Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Winter Photographer
Posted By: daacon, 01-03-2009, 05:45 PM

Toque - $10.00
Gloves with zippers for hot pockets - $30.00
Columbia Thinsulate Jacket - $120.00
Convincing my daughter to come with me in -30C - priceless

Becuase of her there are now actually pictures of me around - not sure that is such a good thing

click on image for full view

Views: 3,564
01-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kurt Quote
Nice series ... these kind of subjects are hard to catch
haha Thanks Kurt - these are rare creatures indeed and much rarer in cold weather

01-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I usually get to BC at least twice a year or we can meet in Banff / Jasper.
Now there a plan. I head to Radium every spring golfing with around 20 other buddies. Maybe I could sneak a extra day. JIM
01-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting...

Cool "cold" shots Dave... It's a balmy -6C here today. Nothing compared to further north, but it's a good chuckle to hear the locals complaining.

So what were the terms of the blackmail for the daughter to take images...?

QuoteOriginally posted by Daacon:
Big time - Left eye only
The above is the "interesting" part... are most people right eye shooters??

I am a lefty, and I go one step further: much of the time I shoot with both eyes open (for specific reasons).

Regards,
Marc
01-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #19
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dave, how in the world can you press any buttons with those gloves?!? I couldn't manage, my fingers are big as it is, not even with gloves on... so I purchased pair of "beggar" fingerless gloves which I put under my normal ones, so when it comes to actuall shooting, gloves come off (at least the upper pair)...
Anyway, nice equipment....
BR

01-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I go to Yellowstone in the winter I'm often so bundled up I can hardly get out of the car! The first things to go are the fingers and I'm always on the lookout for warm thin gloves which is an oxymoron!
01-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Cool "cold" shots Dave... It's a balmy -6C here today. Nothing compared to further north, but it's a good chuckle to hear the locals complaining.
So what were the terms of the blackmail for the daughter to take images...?
The above is the "interesting" part... are most people right eye shooters??
I am a lefty, and I go one step further: much of the time I shoot with both eyes open (for specific reasons).
Regards,
Marc
Thanks Marc next time you are in the sweltering heat and humidity of Texas take a look at this one. No bribery for my daughter - she likes photography - I tried right eye and both eyes - seems unnatural to me - I am more of a left brain person who knows ? I remember there was a thread about this a while back. I will experiement with other methods.

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Dave, how in the world can you press any buttons with those gloves?!? I couldn't manage, my fingers are big as it is, not even with gloves on... so I purchased pair of "beggar" fingerless gloves which I put under my normal ones, so when it comes to actuall shooting, gloves come off (at least the upper pair)...
Anyway, nice equipment....
BR
Thanks Axl - I have a piar of those as well - there are certain temperatures where only full gloves will do - I take them off for a minute as needed , then back on.

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
When I go to Yellowstone in the winter I'm often so bundled up I can hardly get out of the car! The first things to go are the fingers and I'm always on the lookout for warm thin gloves which is an oxymoron!
I hear that - 10 minutes to dress, 30 minute dirve - 20 minutes shooting, 30 minutes home, 10 minutes to undress haha but it is always good to get out and get some strange looks from people passing buy
01-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Now there a plan. I head to Radium every spring golfing with around 20 other buddies. Maybe I could sneak a extra day. JIM
That sounds good a Spring hookup till then ................

01-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Nice shots of a Northern winter. I always enjoy them.
Congratulations to your daughter Dave, fine shots. A chip off the old block by the look of it

A go along with grant. Cant remember the last time I wore gloves for the cold. And a winter woolley hat ???? ..... Never!!
01-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave,
Nice shots. I have to say you look a little cold in that first shot.
Frank
01-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Nice shots of a Northern winter. I always enjoy them.
Congratulations to your daughter Dave, fine shots. A chip off the old block by the look of it
A go along with grant. Cant remember the last time I wore gloves for the cold. And a winter woolley hat ???? ..... Never!!
Thanks Bruce - yeah the woolley hat protects my head and ears - nature has abondoned the natural hair insulation Katie does well - just got to build her confidence (always on green or P mode haha she'll learn!)

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
Dave,
Nice shots. I have to say you look a little cold in that first shot.
Frank
Thansk Frank just like being on the Bay in September eh (I have been in San Fran and been cold before ... not quite that cold , but cold enough to buy a coat )
01-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dave, I figured you for a steely eyed devil. Just like me, nature photographer and wildlife expert.

Jer
01-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Great lighting, brings the crisp winter weather nicely visible! You look handsome, as does you 50-135
01-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Dave, I figured you for a steely eyed devil. Just like me, nature photographer and wildlife expert.
Jer
Ha Ha Jer we really need to get together to swap lies haha

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Great lighting, brings the crisp winter weather nicely visible! You look handsome, as does you 50-135
Thanks Georg - Good eyes I think the 50-135 has it all over me in the looks department
01-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member

[QUOTEThat sounds good a Spring hookup till then ................
][/QUOTE]

You got it Dave.. Maybe we could make a day of it then a couple of cool ones. Looking forward to it! I should know the dates in a month or so. JIM

PS: I will be driving this time as I want to shoot some picture through Rogers Pass.. [Revelstoke is my home town] Cheers JIM
01-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Great shots, your daughter is very good. You are a tough man Dave, I waited for it to warm to -20 before venturing out for a hike.

Nice outfit, I'll have to look for some of those heat pocket gloves. I was using thin knit gloves and keeping my hands in my pockets between shots.