Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Long Exposures Dancing
Posted By: metroeloise, 01-03-2009, 08:54 PM

These are an experiment in long exposures. I am going to even use a ND8 filter and use a spot flash too next week. These are all with the 50mm f/3.5 and 3 seconds
This is from a weekly contact dance informal.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

Views: 1,783
01-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

sorry, but it's just blurs. Only in a couple can you even make the people out. Not my cup of tea. Maybe if you used flash to freeze the beginning of the exposure and then still got the trailing blurs...
01-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What kind of dancing is this? I understand that you are trying to capture the essence of motion with the dancing but with these pictures I am not getting motion I am seeing more blur than anything else. As it is I would not have known that the subjects were dancing had you not said they were in the first post. Did you do more PP on the original shots?
01-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
What kind of dancing is this? I understand that you are trying to capture the essence of motion with the dancing but with these pictures I am not getting motion I am seeing more blur than anything else. As it is I would not have known that the subjects were dancing had you not said they were in the first post. Did you do more PP on the original shots?
The dancing is mostly contact improvisation. There really is a lot going on in the photos. I took these sometime ago and as I am starting to learn Ps I am returning and playing around with some hard shots to see what I can do with them.

Number 2 is a crop that looked cool without reference to dance.

The others are working with emotional content of the movement's moment. More to learn!

Essence of movement. And subtle relationships between people. I think I'm on to something with this. Just need better captures to work with. Most of these are taken at 3 seconds so much is blurred. I will try some other techniques. mostly I am going to use hand held accenting flash and mounted multi-flash to see what I can get.