Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
a rare self portrait
Posted By: khardur, 01-04-2009, 08:44 PM

I really don't do self portraits really except to test equipment out so real subjects don't get bored/frustrated with me... but this evening I was testing out some new stuff I made and this was one of the resulting shots. After doing a little PP I think this is one of the best self portraits I've ever taken. Plus I haven't posted anything in awhile so I had to throw something out here.

Taken with two homemade beauty dishes and a bare flash in the back. (see strobist instructions here, I used different connecting parts but they were essentially the same.
Views: 2,238
01-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is really well done.. Like the PP work. JIM
01-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You do have a talent in photo treatment. The acidic look works well.

Critically speaking, the photo does have too much black. But the overall effect is about the impact and the symbolism of a rocker - wild and liberating.

So this image is fantastic for artsy people but not for traditional photographers

p.s. I had my run in photo critic and all I heard was this kind of feedback for my own black and white images. hehehe
01-05-2009, 03:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
This is really well done.. Like the PP work. JIM
Thanks Jim!

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
You do have a talent in photo treatment. The acidic look works well.

Critically speaking, the photo does have too much black. But the overall effect is about the impact and the symbolism of a rocker - wild and liberating.

So this image is fantastic for artsy people but not for traditional photographers

p.s. I had my run in photo critic and all I heard was this kind of feedback for my own black and white images. hehehe
Thanks for the critique James. Definitely too much black for the traditional photographer. I've got a plug-in that works like tech-pan film, so you either get black or white or nothing.

The original I'll post later on when I get home from work, it looked much more normal.