Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Dwarf Poinciana Flowers
Lens: Pentax DA 18- 135mm Camera: Pentax K 50 Photo Location: Sanford Florida ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: rhanz, 09-24-2023, 08:24 AM

Flowers on the Red Peacock Dwarf Poinciana tree.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Views: 265
09-24-2023, 05:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great looking images of these blooms, rhanz. Something that I have not seen before. Are they common in Florida?
09-24-2023, 06:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Great looking images of these blooms, rhanz. Something that I have not seen before. Are they common in Florida?
They need zone 10 weather. In my area it can get down to freezing for short periods of time. Below 40 degrees they should be covered.There aren’t to many in my area.
09-24-2023, 06:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sharp and colourful.

09-25-2023, 06:40 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Sharp and colourful.
Thanks for commenting on the photos.
09-25-2023, 08:55 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
They're native in the Caribbean and Mexico, I think. I see one now and then, gorgeous flowers -- as shown here! -- but I think the shrubs are a bit untidy, sort of rangy and sprawling, so not popular as landscape subjects here, even in Zone 10. And we get a cold night now and then, which tends to weed them out during some winters. Caesalpinia pulcherrima, not closely related to royal poinciana, Delonix regia, but both are in the bean/pea family. Spectacular in bloom, no mistake!

09-25-2023, 02:01 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
They're native in the Caribbean and Mexico, I think. I see one now and then, gorgeous flowers -- as shown here! -- but I think the shrubs are a bit untidy, sort of rangy and sprawling, so not popular as landscape subjects here, even in Zone 10. And we get a cold night now and then, which tends to weed them out during some winters. Caesalpinia pulcherrima, not closely related to royal poinciana, Delonix regia, but both are in the bean/pea family. Spectacular in bloom, no mistake!

Thanks for sharing your plant knowledge Julie. Two of my neighbors are growing them and that’s where my photos were taken.I had a yellow one that didn’t survive last winter .

09-25-2023, 02:09 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rhanz Quote
Thanks for sharing your plant knowledge Julie. Two of my neighbors are growing them and that’s where my photos were taken.I had a yellow one that didn’t survive last winter .
Always glad to help, when I can!

Lots of folks here -- I am among them! -- practice Zone Denial, planting things inappropriate for the climate. BTW, there are multiple color forms of poinciana, too. Deep orange is the typical color, but they range from yellow (several shades) through many shades of orange to dark red. Messy, weak trees, but take-your-breath-away stunning in full bloom.