Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
The Adventure Begins......
Lens: Pentax HD DA 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Lens Camera: Pentax KP Photo Location: Daintree River QLD ISO: 2500 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: K2 to K50, 09-29-2023, 07:10 PM

Early morning start (approx 7:00 am) for a 3 hr float along the Daintree River. The gentleman just off-centre, back to camera with the big 500mm lens, is the birding guide/driver (Doug Herrington) we hired for 5 days of North Queensland Birding.

Views: 228
09-30-2023, 06:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking forward to your images!

? 3 hour float? 5 days? what else will you do? camp overnight? hike? inquiring minds want to know!
09-30-2023, 09:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is a beautiful scene at the start of your adventure. I believe we have already seen several of the new birds you captured during this adventure.
09-30-2023, 05:49 PM   #4

Hey- get us a photo of a Yowie!
They must be out there, somewhere?
No?

09-30-2023, 07:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Looking forward to your images!

? 3 hour float? 5 days? what else will you do? camp overnight? hike? inquiring minds want to know!
Heh. Am contemplating the feasability of a trip further north next year - want to photograph (amongst other things) the Palm Cockatoo.
(Palm cockatoo - Wikipedia)
Expense is an issue, as driving would require a 4-wheel drive, and flying to this remote area is also expensive. Another issue is my age - I will be 80 next year!! To get this pic of the Golden Bower bird:
(Golden Bower BIrd - PentaxForums.com)

we had to trek up a path that was at times barely visible, most often muddy and slippery, and frequently uphill, for close to an hour - it was very demanding, particularly carrying the Pentax K3 + Pentax 150-450mm zoom + monopod!!
But I made a count at the end of the whole trip, I counted 50+ different bird species photographed, 31 of which I had never seen before.
As Mike has noted, I have already posted a few of these, with more to come. See:
Azure Kingfisher - PentaxForums.com

Sacred Kingfisher - PentaxForums.com
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/458913-nature-double...ig-parrot.html

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
That is a beautiful scene at the start of your adventure. I believe we have already seen several of the new birds you captured during this adventure.
Thanks Mike - it is an experience to visit this area. This was my second time on the Daintree River - first time was back in November 2021. That trip taught me to hire a boat exclusively (instead of sharing one with a large group) and for a minimum of 3 hrs instead of the usual 2 hr scheduled cruises.

QuoteOriginally posted by Walkingwolf Quote
Hey- get us a photo of a Yowie!
They must be out there, somewhere?
No?
It has been scientifically proven that Yowies emit a strange aura that interferes with the processes of both film and digital photography, such that they always appear as a featureless blob in the image.