Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

BIRDING with 17mm???
Posted By: Jewelltrail, 01-06-2009, 01:10 PM

In this case yes! My Tammy 17-50mm @ 400 iso--f6.3--1/50th--Spot metered on the bird. These Gray Jays are the boldest birds I have ever met, but then to survive above tree-line in dead of Winter I guess you have to be bold. In my right hand is my K20d. In my left hand, besides the bird of course, is a piece of my double-fiber, whole grain wheat bread. Not wanting to miss this photo opportunity, I manually focused on my empty left hand, then baited it with the bread piece--thanks Daniel Chong for this tip. The shot is cropped a bit.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 11-28-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Views: 1,978
01-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice shot indeed. It's somewhat common in these parts, that you can get chickadees to eat out of your hand. I've done it before, but it takes some patience. I think your little guy is even braver than a chickadee.

01-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow that is SOOOO cool!
01-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
LaRee Wow that is SOOOO cool!
Thanks Laree, but the Jay is not as cool as you!

QuoteQuote:
eccs19 Nice shot indeed. It's somewhat common in these parts, that you can get chickadees to eat out of your hand. I've done it before, but it takes some patience. I think your little guy is even braver than a chickadee.
Thank you! Trust me I did not use a lot of patience, nor could I had I wanted to--it was dam cold and I needed to move on to generate body heat. The birds were simply ravenous!

QuoteQuote:
Now if only I can figure out how to attract that hawk to my bird feeded. I have plenty of food (i.e. squirrels) in my feeder
Lowell, hysterical but look out for those squirrel-rights activists--I'm sure they inhabit even these forums. LOL

QuoteQuote:
Beautiful shot! It's a wonderful feeling when a wild bird lands on your hand to feed out in the woods.
You are correct, it is a wonderful feeling and you speak as though you have first-hand knowledge. The best things in life are free! I think Henry David Thoreau would be proud.

QuoteQuote:
Excellent shot, quite rare occasion I think?
Thank you--it sure is a rare happenning for me.

QuoteQuote:
Cool, I live in MA right on the NH boarder so I'm pretty familiar with the area. I've never climbed Jackson (a few of the other peaks) but nothing that high above tree line in the middle of winter like that.
Well why not--it is as invigorating as it gets--you'll love it. Not only that, but your home is only about 2 and 1 quarter hours from this trailhead.

QuoteQuote:
Very impressive technique,as told by in Pentax Forum
Thanks, but I have already cited my source for technique==Daniel Chong told all in a post at this forum once. I dare hot risk plagarizing his great work--he manually focuses birds in flight.