Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Birds in my backyard (5 images)
Posted By: SharonS, 01-07-2009, 04:02 PM

Hi here are a couple of shots taken around our yard, these are the first I have tried any PP work on, just cropping and a little adjustment to contrast/brightness.

Rainbow Lorikeet

Green Catbird

Tawny Frogmouth

Any advice would be great.
thanks
Sharon
Views: 2,964
01-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like #2 the best, followed by #5. Are the rest just a little soft?

What lens/focal length were you using? We get Rosellas, Galahs and Cockatoos (sulphur crested) in our garden, but as soon as they see a camera they are gone.

Those Tawny Frogmouths are weird looking birds.
01-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll agree on #2 and #5, but number 5 just freaks me out. That bird don't have no head. That ain't right.
01-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
jeffkpotter

Nicely done. I really love the second one. So colorful and a perfect pose. What kind of bird is that in the last image? It looks like a Nightjar but I'm not sure.

01-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
Nicely done. I really love the second one. So colorful and a perfect pose. What kind of bird is that in the last image? It looks like a Nightjar but I'm not sure.
I did a search since I am not familiar with Aussie birds. The Tawny Frogmouth is an owl.

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
I'll agree on #2 and #5, but number 5 just freaks me out. That bird don't have no head. That ain't right.
I've found the head. Google is my friend. This guy appears to be sleeping. I am relieved. You Aussies have some interesting wildlife but a headless bird was just too weird.
01-07-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Nice work, you have some good shots there. Be careful not to crop too much, it's nice to have a good view of the subject but on the other hand it's good to capture the scene as well.
01-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I like the last one the best.

01-08-2009, 02:05 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your comments,

RichardS - #1 the Lorikeet in the Bottlebrush, was taken with Sigma 100-300mm, focal length 153mm, at F/4.5, cropped slightly, and contrast adjusted.

#2 the Lorikeet on the wooden rail, was taken with Sigma 28-80mm at focal length 80mm, at F/5.6, this picture is straight out of the camera with no adjustments.

#3 & 4 the Green Catbird were taken with Sigma 100-300mm, I have since discovered this lens has mould growing in it.

#5 The Tawny Frogmouth Owl was taken with Sigma 180mm Macro at focal length 180mm, cropped and contrast adjusted.

the birds here use our front verandah for water that is left out and they also frequent our compost area, they are very used to us coming and going, in fact my 3yr old daughter has been able to feed and pat a couple of the Lorikeets.

dws117 - he wasn't sleeping but trying hard to ignore me, usually these guys get photographed in an extended head and neck position while trying to look like dead branches. the pair that roost here are in a small palm or a horozontal branch in a gum and tend to hunch down instead of extending.

Thanks again
Sharon
01-08-2009, 02:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great set of shots Sharon.

It is great to have some many Lorikeets around. We have had a lot here as well.

That Catbird. haven't see one around here.
But we are beginning to have trouble with the Indian Myna birds. They make great target practice. (It is legal to kill them, rats of the bird world.) shooting them is too good for them(with a gun I mean).

Well done, (sorry for my little hate session)
01-08-2009, 02:52 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey there Bramela, thanks for your comments. We are lucky not to have any Indian myna's here, I agree totally they are a big problem in a lot of areas. My hubby used them for target practice regularly at our last house, they eventually moved on, we also trained our dogs to chase them out of our yard, thay were good dogs they left all the other birds alone.
Sharon
01-08-2009, 04:07 AM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And we are happy if we get some robins here...
nice shots, thanx for sharring
01-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SharonS Quote
#3 & 4 the Green Catbird were taken with Sigma 100-300mm, I have since discovered this lens has mould growing in it.
Not good news. Best of luck for getting it fixed.

QuoteOriginally posted by SharonS Quote

the birds here use our front verandah for water that is left out and they also frequent our compost area, they are very used to us coming and going, in fact my 3yr old daughter has been able to feed and pat a couple of the Lorikeets.
Thanks. That's given me some ideas. I guess us having a cat could make the birds a little cautious

Richard.
01-09-2009, 04:36 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Richard, we actually have 2 cats, over the years I have activley detterred my cats from chasing birds but I set the water up for the birds in an area where the cats rarely go. my old cat has since discovered that the front verandah, where the birds water is has good sleeping sun, but he just ignores the birds and they harrass him untill he leaves.The domestic animals here are lowest ranked with wildlife firmly at the top. At the moment there is a python threatening the pair of Daschunds next door, we'll see how that works out! Hope the python wins, he will be much quieter.
Sharon
01-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

amazing!

really are!
wish i was good enough.
I tend to shot stationary cars!