Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Icy
Posted By: Rockdoctor, 01-08-2009, 06:30 PM

Views: 2,973
01-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking into an ice cave created by sub-glacial melt, I assume? What are the vertical things? Almost looks like out-of-focus plant stems, but it's hard to picture those being close enough to the ice to get in your way...

Great shot!

Where are you based? You definitely have snagged some very nice geo type photos.

Jim (also a geologist by edjamacation, but working as a water database programmer for the USGS)
01-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
I am a geologist as well located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The picture was taken under the toe of a glacier. The virtical out of focus things are streams of water coming off. There was just enough room to stick the camera underneath the lip of ice to take a few shots.
01-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
Just thinking. I should crop this image.

01-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rockdoctor Quote
I am a geologist as well located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The picture was taken under the toe of a glacier. The virtical out of focus things are streams of water coming off. There was just enough room to stick the camera underneath the lip of ice to take a few shots.
It did look like pretty tight space under there

As a kid, I recall hiking into the ice caves at Paradise on Mt Rainier during the summers. Fascinating places... I have no idea if any of my dad's photos still exist, though.

Calgary sure has some great "stuff" around it for geo types. You working in the oil patch (including tar sands) or something else? Always nice to see another geo, especially one who can make a living actually in the field of study... Some of us sit behind a computer all day every day. Water's a pretty fun career, but I do miss going out and banging on the rocks.

Jim
01-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CycloneBandDad Quote
It did look like pretty tight space under there

As a kid, I recall hiking into the ice caves at Paradise on Mt Rainier during the summers. Fascinating places... I have no idea if any of my dad's photos still exist, though.

Calgary sure has some great "stuff" around it for geo types. You working in the oil patch (including tar sands) or something else? Always nice to see another geo, especially one who can make a living actually in the field of study... Some of us sit behind a computer all day every day. Water's a pretty fun career, but I do miss going out and banging on the rocks.

Jim
Yes, I do work in the oil patch. But like you, I sit at a desk and go to meetings all day. Management means I don't get to go out and bang on rocks anymore either. But, thats what the weekends are for. The mountains are less than an hour West. I'll be heading there tomorrow my camera in hand.
01-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
sweet pic rockdoctor and love the handel. Nicely done.