Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Swing Dancing
Posted By: Hey Elwood, 01-08-2009, 08:09 PM

Hi Everyone,

Of my many hobbies (aside from my growing interest in photography), is my everlasting love of swing dancing. For those who don't know that is the type of dancing that was done back in the 30s and 40s. Well, one of the big events that happens here in the Detroit area is something called the Big III. The Big III usually involved 1 or more big band orchestras and hundreds of dancers that fill the beautiful Crystal Ballroom at the Masonic Temple. I went to the most recent Big III in November and decided to bring along my Pentax K100d (I didn't have my K20d yet).

Here are a few photos from that night.

I'm wondering if you all could help me with this picture. It looks pretty good to me but it seems to be missing something. Thanks

Views: 2,654
01-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow... I haven't been out in the National Lindy Hop scene for maybe about 3 or 4 years now. I never really made it out to Detroit when I was really active but looking at those pictures I don't recognize anyone any more. Is Adem Boehmer still out there or was he out in Ann Arbor?
01-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If I'm correct, Adam hasn't been around for a while. I never actually meet Adam but I do know Adam Vallas is still around
01-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah, I haven't been out for quite some time now. Here are a couple of friends of mine doing "The Balboa"

01-09-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Some fun pictures there. Some have a little to much motion for me (but that is just me) Is that writing on the floor or was it added by you in PS?
01-09-2009, 06:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was added with photoshop. Frankie Manning is the oldest living (and most famous) swing dancer. He actually helped to start swing dancing with the Lindy Hop at the Savoy Ballroom in Harlem.

Last edited by Hey Elwood; 01-09-2009 at 06:45 AM.
01-09-2009, 06:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Great work adding it I honestly thought it was written on the floor. Great job.

01-09-2009, 07:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
It was added with photoshop. Frankie Manning is the oldest living (and most famous) swing dancer. He actually helped to start swing dancing with the Lindy Hop at the Savoy Ballroom in Harlem.

I hate to nit pick on this one BUT this is not technically correct. Frankie (God Bless him) was indeed an innovator of Lindy Hop but he was not the one to start/create swing dancing. Dance like all other forms of art evolved from many sources. Lindy Hop is no difference as it is closely tied to the music of the era.

Otherwise, I LOVE Frankie. One of my favorite memories of him was at his 90th(?) birthday. The band for his birthday dance was playing Shiny Stockings (~116 bpm) and when the band finished there were a lot of people still wanting to dance with him. So he went up to the stage and asked the band leader to play Jumpin at the Woodside (~220bpm)!!! Even at that age he was out dancing everyone
01-09-2009, 07:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oops my bad. What I ment to say was he helped in spreading the popularity of Lindy Hop which (in turn) helped to spread the popularity of Swing Dancing (of which there are many forms - east coast, west coast, lindy hop, boogie woogie, blues, etc). Frankie Manning didn't start Lindy Hop or Swing Dancing but he is the most widely known and oldest living swing dancer.