Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Have a look please.
Posted By: Rockdoctor, 01-08-2009, 09:05 PM

Help Critique please. One is simply cropped tighter than the other.

FA 12-24 and gentle HDR.

Views: 2,802
01-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Technically a beautiful photo but I find myself asking "What is the subject?" You have three equally strong elements - the detail in the massive tree, the imposing bulk of the mountain and the mystery of the track and who has left the footprints in the snow. Any one of these has enough interest to make a subject in itself, but I feel all three have received equal emphasis here. Hence my eye doesn't have anywhere to rest and contemplate.

Nevertheless, a feast for the soul.
01-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
lol. I suppose the subject could be a winter path through the mountains past a very large spruce tree.
01-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The second one tends to 'invite' you to step into it....would probably look very good in a very large enlargement, perhaps in a hiking equipment store..?

Cheers.

01-08-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Rockdoctor Quote
lol. I suppose the subject could be a winter path through the mountains past a very large spruce tree.
Thats what I was thinkin'

I like the crop better... I do get what Wombat was getting at.

-EDIT-

I was wrong... they are both cropped a tad I guess.... it is the second one I like the best... just want to be clear haha

Last edited by Igilligan; 01-09-2009 at 11:04 AM.
01-09-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like the second one--well done.
01-09-2009, 01:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I also prefer the first version (the crop). It is more to the point and addresses Wombat's criticism to some extent. Good (tasteful) use of HDR, BTW.

01-09-2009, 02:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The photo could be cropped more really to show the path/subject in this case.
01-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The HDR looks a bit too overdone to me; you can see the haloing in both of the shots. Both photos also look a bit too artificial to me, I get the feeling that they're not taken out in nature, but could be a scene from a museum, or some other display, with the mountain in the background painted in.

just my 2c
01-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I prefer the crop version as well. It has a better inviting feel for me anyway.
01-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
The HDR looks a bit too overdone to me; you can see the haloing in both of the shots. Both photos also look a bit too artificial to me, I get the feeling that they're not taken out in nature, but could be a scene from a museum, or some other display, with the mountain in the background painted in.

just my 2c
Well, this is the effect HDR offers. We are not use to viewing photos with the foreground and background exposed in this manner. You should see the source pictures that went into creating it. Over exposed background with proper exposure on the tree and a blacked out tree with a correct exposure on the background. I iwill post later.
01-09-2009, 07:28 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

#2, the uncropped one, does it for me! Reading the other responses, it won't be much of a help to you, is it? For me it is just the feeling of #2: it's more majestic, it even ads a fourth element to the 3 already mentioned by Wombat: a forest. This completes the picture for me, I guess....

Or something like that...
01-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I prefer the 2nd one, the log to the left seems to add balance and the extra amount of trail gives it depth. I see in both versions you have some purple colours showing up in the trees.

The rock face in the distance looks a bit like the East entrance to Jasper Park, I'd like to get out to the park one of these days for some shots.
01-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
I prefer the 2nd one, the log to the left seems to add balance and the extra amount of trail gives it depth. I see in both versions you have some purple colours showing up in the trees.

The rock face in the distance looks a bit like the East entrance to Jasper Park, I'd like to get out to the park one of these days for some shots.
Good eye for the local Geology. It was taken on the hike out to 7 glaciers along Lake Louise looking back toward the Chateau.

Ya, this image has issues with fringing and halos for sure. Part of why I wanted to crop the photo to tell you the truth.
01-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rockdoctor Quote
Good eye for the local Geology. It was taken on the hike out to 7 glaciers along Lake Louise looking back toward the Chateau.

Ya, this image has issues with fringing and halos for sure. Part of why I wanted to crop the photo to tell you the truth.
what aperture were you at? that is some serious PF if you were stopped down and HDR only emphasizes it to be honest. take my next comments with a grain of salt as I am biased against HDR.

it looks overdone even for HDR (which by the way proper HDR isn't supposed to be so noticeable. the stuff people show as HDR is usually the very extreme and not really true HDR.)

I am also not a fan of the composition. I think its more the angle than the cropping. you want to convey the path ending and opening up to the mountains but that's just not what I am getting. maybe if you were lower shooting up at a higher angle? im not really sure. but for the record I think the scene is beautiful and am very envious. I also prefer #2 because I Think cropping out the treeline on the first unbalances the picture and the tree on the right almost instantly draws the eye instead of the path to the mountains.

despite all that, they are still lovely photos.