Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first photos with film camera
Posted By: thesaxman547, 01-09-2009, 10:37 AM

Hi everyone, this is my first attempt with a film camera (K2). I'm new to photography and want to learn, so feel free to give me as much constructive criticism as needed.
Thanks,
-Ted

Does anyone know what that line across the picture is? It happened to a few of my photos...

Views: 1,499
01-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are some fine B&W images although #3 could use a little straightening. I can't see the line you are referring to. Perhaps you can enlarge the area of the scratch. If the scratch is uniform across the entire frame if might have been a piece of dust or dirt inside the camera. Use a bulb blower to thoroughly clean the film transport area of the body.
01-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Nice work Ted! Is this the BW400CN?

I see a horizontal band of light across the last photo. That looks a bit like a leakage of light on to the film. This might indicate a fault in the camera (maybe the light seals around the back need to be replaced), or in handling the film (by the lab?) or perhaps caused by changing lenses in very bright light (direct sunlight).

This last has caught me out a few times. While the shutter system is designed to keep out the light, blasting direct sunlight into the camera body can sometimes cause leakage past the shutter. On the frames it shows - was this about the time you changed lenses? Check the negatives and see if the band of light is wholly within the frame, or leaks across the borders - that might give us some more clues to work with.

Cheers!
01-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisN Quote
Nice work Ted! Is this the BW400CN?

I see a horizontal band of light across the last photo. That looks a bit like a leakage of light on to the film. This might indicate a fault in the camera (maybe the light seals around the back need to be replaced), or in handling the film (by the lab?) or perhaps caused by changing lenses in very bright light (direct sunlight).

This last has caught me out a few times. While the shutter system is designed to keep out the light, blasting direct sunlight into the camera body can sometimes cause leakage past the shutter. On the frames it shows - was this about the time you changed lenses? Check the negatives and see if the band of light is wholly within the frame, or leaks across the borders - that might give us some more clues to work with.

Cheers!

Thanks Steve and Chris. Yeah it's the BW400CN. And yes Chris you're right about the lens. The band of light came through in a few of the photos I took. I didn't know that the light would affect the film (well I didn't even think about it when I took the lens off). I took it off a lot in between photos just to examine everything to see how it worked. Now I know to beware of light entering the body when the lens is off. Thanks.