Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Learning fill flash and My 9 year old son..
Posted By: LaRee, 01-10-2009, 12:16 AM

I am trying to get a better handle of using fill flash outdoors. Heck, I'm trying to get a handle on flash period. I am pretty happy with these I took yesterday. My 9 yr old (just turned 9 on Dec 29!) and I were out traipsing around on our weekly Thursday walk about after he gets out of school early. There was no sun and it was becoming very foggy. I had the 540 off camera using the F5P extension cord and the hot shoe adapter FG. I was holding the flash in my left hand, because I was shooting without a tripod. I would move the flash over my head and to the right side of the camera when I felt it would be better. Kind of awkward...but it works.

When we are out sometimes I'll say, "stop, don't move". You can tell in the first photo that I am trying his patience. It is tough to be the only model for a mom who is trying to learn flash technique.

The kid could use a haircut!

Grimy from play

Views: 4,894
01-10-2009, 12:41 AM   #2
Igilligan

I am a flash rookie

But these fill flash shots look really good to me... You did a good job of the balancing act IMHO... The flash pro's may have tips for you, but I will just tip my hat.

Ps my daughter turned 4 on Dec 25th... we need to talk about Christmas time birthdays... We still have not figured out the best options. You can PM me about it if you have any thoughts or tips of what has worked for you.

And your son is beautiful, you must drive him crazy with that camera. My oldest is 6.5 and she is so over me right now...
I was trying to check if I had dialed in the 'AF adjust' on one of my lenses on my new K20 the other day, and she finally said, "I dont care if you got a new camera and a new lens.... I have things to do"
She is six... what does she have to do?
01-10-2009, 01:08 AM   #3

I like the first photo the best but all three photos are superb!!
great job!
01-10-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Lookd great work there that they look pleasantly lit and metered.

01-10-2009, 05:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well done LaRee the baby blues really pop in the first one. I agree Flash is a total sceince on it's own and I think you are well on your way.
01-10-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree you are doing a great job.
01-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

LaRee, that is a very good start, especially # 1!

You may know that I use fill flash a lot with macro. It's the same concepts across the board.

I was talking with Jason Hudson (local wedding photographer extraordinaire - Arkansas Wedding Photographer, Northwest Arkansas Wedding Photographer, Oklahoma Texas Missouri Kansas Wedding Photography Wedding Photojournalism Weddings Photographs
and
Arkansas Wedding Photographer, Northwest Arkansas Wedding Photographer, Oklahoma Texas Missouri Kansas Wedding Photography Wedding Photojournalism Weddings Photographs) at our local camera store just a few days ago.

Jason is a Nikon (formerly Fuji) shooter with D300's. He is a true professional in every sense of the word. No equipment bias, nothing. He was giving me his tips on photographing the brides in white dresses with fill flash. Often it's a cable extension from the hot shoe, and the fill flash to one side, to ensure the highlights are not blown. That and other tips made complete sense, and much ties in with how I use flash for macro work. I just have a much narrower DOF to work with.

A very good start!

Regards,
Marc
01-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Wonderful portraits, not just the usual posing, but taken from natural positions that still look something different!

01-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

LaRee... I think they look fine for the first go around and I do need to pickup a flash soon. Thanks for the infor Marc. JIM
01-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LaRee, aside from the good photography these are pictures you'll treasure for a long to come. (including the look in the first one.)
01-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Great shots of a very handsome young man. I'd say your fill flash techique is perfect. Did you fire the flash remotely?

I also love the landscape style portrait (the first one). I assume that one will find its way onto one of the walls at home...
01-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gus, I sure feel for you and your daughter having a birthday on Dec. 25th that is tough! I'll pm you some ideas. LOL about your oldest daughter's comment. I can just see and hear her now. They are just too busy!

Thank you juicebox, James, Dave, Pat, Jimbo, Georg, Heinrich and Alan for taking a look and commenting. I am kinda partial to these kids of mine. I am sure you understand.

Marc, thank you. I looked around Jason Hudson site. I really enjoyed the Liberty Bridal Fashion slide show. He is quite tallented!
01-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
But these fill flash shots look really good to me... You did a good job of the balancing act IMHO... The flash pro's may have tips for you, but I will just tip my hat.

Ps my daughter turned 4 on Dec 25th... we need to talk about Christmas time birthdays... We still have not figured out the best options. You can PM me about it if you have any thoughts or tips of what has worked for you.

And your son is beautiful, you must drive him crazy with that camera. My oldest is 6.5 and she is so over me right now...
I was trying to check if I had dialed in the 'AF adjust' on one of my lenses on my new K20 the other day, and she finally said, "I dont care if you got a new camera and a new lens.... I have things to do"
She is six... what does she have to do?
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Gus, I sure feel for you and your daughter having a birthday on Dec. 25th that is tough! I'll pm you some ideas. LOL about your oldest daughter's comment. I can just see and hear her now. They are just too busy!

Thank you juicebox, James, Dave, Pat, Jimbo, Georg, Heinrich and Alan for taking a look and commenting. I am kinda partial to these kids of mine. I am sure you understand.

Marc, thank you. I looked around Jason Hudson site. I really enjoyed the Liberty Bridal Fashion slide show. He is quite tallented!

LaRee,

These are very well done. I find that using an off-camera flash with a diffuser works very well. I usually use my Sunpak 522, put it on manual and dial it down 1-2 stops.

On the subject of birthdays that are close to Christmas, PM me. I have had 51 of them (Dec. 30th baby).

LOL!

Ray
01-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Handsome young lad you have there for a subject.

I think you did a really nice job! The first two are quite good, with the first being the real standout! It's a nicely balanced, landscape orientated portrait with some nice directional light, not overdone, and balanced very well with the light in the background.

The third could have been improved by a few steps to the left to avoid the "up the nose" shot.

I know what you mean about a flash in the other hand being awkward. Just try it with a flash, wireless trigger, umbrella mount and shoot-thru umbrella! Now that's really awkward!
01-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ray,
Thank you for reminding me about the diffuser. I actually have one for the 540 that I used to use all the time. I need to make sure that is on the flash for fill flash during the day.

Hamid,
I thought about the "up the nose" positioning I had when I fired that shot. I even moved over to correct, but in that fraction of a minute his expression and placement changed. The moment was gone. It is getting more and more difficult to get him to indulge me. I keep trying and trying my best not to be too intrusive so he won't completely hate my camera.

Thank you both for looking and commenting.