Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
8 Likes  #1
Little Blue Herons
Lens: Pentax DA zoom Lens Camera: Pentax K5lls Photo Location: Sanford Florida ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: rhanz, 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM

Photos show the Little Blue Herons in the adult stage and the immature stage witch are white

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 259
02-23-2024, 04:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Conway, Arkansas
Posts: 15,028
Another great bird series, rhanz. I have never seen these herons around here but I think my son sees them occasionally. All very good captures, but for some reason, I am drawn to the second image of the two adults.
02-23-2024, 06:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,948
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Another great bird series, rhanz. I have never seen these herons around here but I think my son sees them occasionally. All very good captures, but for some reason, I am drawn to the second image of the two adults.
The second photo has the best colors and detail.I used my DA 18-250mm lens on the first two photos. The last two I used my DA 18= 270 mm lens. Thanks for your comments Mike.i
02-23-2024, 08:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 21,429
What a terrific wildlife series. Truly wonderful shooting and many thanks for the treats.

Cheers,

Tony )

02-23-2024, 10:33 PM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
PJ1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toowoomba, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,480
Nics pics. I am surprised the sub-adult form is so white.
02-24-2024, 10:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,948
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
What a terrific wildlife series. Truly wonderful shooting and many thanks for the treats.

Cheers,

Tony )
Thanks Tony
02-25-2024, 07:30 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 26,205
Great group of photos. I dimly remember photographing an adolescent heron, which I originally thought was an egret. I haven't seen a young 'un in a long time.

Jer

02-25-2024, 06:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,948
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great group of photos. I dimly remember photographing an adolescent heron, which I originally thought was an egret. I haven't seen a young 'un in a long time.

Jer
The young blue heron will have a gray bill and the egrets bills are either yellow or black if it is a snowy egret. Thanks for your comment.

---------- Post added 02-25-24 at 06:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nics pics. I am surprised the sub-adult form is so white.
After its first year the all white feathers slowly start to turn blue.Thanks for commenting.
02-26-2024, 12:37 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,942
Interesting about the all-white to deep blue as they mature.
Like Mike said, the second shot is interesting, I think primarily because they have a repeating pattern.
Angky
02-29-2024, 07:33 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,948
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Interesting about the all-white to deep blue as they mature.
Like Mike said, the second shot is interesting, I think primarily because they have a repeating pattern.
Angky
Thanks for commenting Angky.
03-01-2024, 02:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian
35mmfilmfan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 4,312
Excellent series of images.

Do they change from immature plumage to full adult in the course of one moult, or are there intermediate stages where elements of both colours can be seen (like swans and gulls, for instance) ?
03-01-2024, 08:42 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,948
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Excellent series of images.

Do they change from immature plumage to full adult in the course of one moult, or are there intermediate stages where elements of both colours can be seen (like swans and gulls, for instance) ?
After the first year as they lose white feathers new ones come in blue and for a while they look what I call spotty.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, egret, heron, herons, photo, stage, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Little Blue Herons scoping the area rhanz Post Your Photos! 6 11-02-2023 05:37 PM
Nature Little Blue Herons up in the trees rhanz Post Your Photos! 4 10-31-2023 02:36 PM
Nature Blue Herons everywhere at Black Canyon Lake phx.david Post Your Photos! 9 08-21-2023 05:04 AM
Nature Blue Herons at Dogtown Lake phx.david Post Your Photos! 6 05-30-2023 04:49 AM
Nature Blue Herons and a Duck phx.david Post Your Photos! 6 06-06-2022 10:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top