Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Jasper
Posted By: daacon, 01-12-2009, 04:02 PM

I spent a day in Jasper on Sunday - was +2C (yes that is warm from this time of year ) It was a little overcast not the best for getting the shots I wanted but what are you going to do. Have a few to process but here's one I really like.

This is a picture of the end of main street - quite a backdrop what.

Click on image for larger view

Views: 5,554
01-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Rockdoctor Quote
Hey, welcome to the forum!! I see you are from Regina. No offense but your comment holds particularly true especially if you are from Regina. lol all in fun. I lived there for 3 months once. It was a long 3 months
Thanks for the welcome, and yes, it sucks even worse now that it's -35 with windchill here in Regina, and let's just say that this town does not offer any Jasper-esque beauty, lol.

01-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice Dave, I've never managed to get to Jasper in the winter month so thank you for the post.
01-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Beautiful!
01-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Great shot, Dave. Beautiful scenery...look forward to seeing more from your Jasper visit.

01-13-2009, 01:42 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful view. I love mountains. But with that warm temp, aren't you worried that the snow might melt?

QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
Nice shot . Though a bit cold for me . We hit 79F today !!!!
That's a nice temp. Civilised. We hit 100F today and in the north of the state it was around 105F.
01-13-2009, 02:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

There is so much things inside the image. Well done Dave!

Looks a place that I could visit ...
01-13-2009, 06:17 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Stephen
Beautiful countryside Dave. Been there in summer, will pass up a chance of a winter visit.
Stephen
Thanks Stephen - it's a beautifull place in any season (In the summer with all the lakes anb clear water) - it's been unseasonable warm there latley , however I relaize warm is relative

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Dave, the view is simply stunning in deed. Very scenic spots with beautiful display of nature.
Thanks James - it is very scenic. I wish the weather on top of the mountains was a little clearer.

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Totally Envy!! I really want to go there..
Ha Ha thanks Vizjerei - come on down I mapquested it and here are the highlights : Estimated Time: 38 hours 28 minutes Estimated Distance: 2386.31 miles

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
Thats a great shot Dave. Looks like a nice place to go, but I think I'll wait till summer. This southern boy couldn't handle that cold.
Thanks Wayne - sure you could you dress accordinly

01-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very nice Dave, I've never managed to get to Jasper in the winter month so thank you for the post.
Thanks Heinrich - as mentioned and as you well know it's a great place any time of the year - Jasper is about an hour closer than Banff but it's been years for me since I have been there was overdue. Of course the disadvantage was we hot a Blizzard comming home Sunday night - nothing like doing 70kmh on highway 16 with about 3 feet visability.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Beautiful!
Thanks Jewelltrail - there will be more

QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
Great shot, Dave. Beautiful scenery...look forward to seeing more from your Jasper visit.
Thanks dazman - later today I am hoping.

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Wonderful view. I love mountains. But with that warm temp, aren't you worried that the snow might melt?
Thanks RichardS haha no worries the only thing that high temp did was make is nice and slushy so that driving on the higway your headlights get covered with road crime so at night the project about 4 inches with the power of 1 candel 100F I agree - at that temp I would be inside with AC or in the water - too hot for this guy as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by kurt Quote
There is so much things inside the image. Well done Dave!
Looks a place that I could visit ...
Thanks Kurt - Alberta national parks are a great place to see the Rocky Mountains (not to mention sking , hiking , fishing, and all those other outdoor activities)

Last edited by daacon; 01-13-2009 at 06:35 AM.
01-13-2009, 06:38 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Beautiful shot Dave and it reminds me I must get out to Jasper one of these weekends. I was wondering if you hit that blizzard on Sunday, it was wicked with that howling wind and snow. It caught me out in the woods wandering around, nasty for sure. Glad you got home safe.
01-13-2009, 06:52 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Holy... mountains! Beautiful area Dave.

Someday... I've never been in the western half of Canada. IIRC, back in the 90's the flight & accommodation costs were so high that a student or "new to the work force" person couldn't really consider such a trip. I envy the fact that you are close enough to make the trip within the day.

Regards,
Marc
01-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Beautiful shot Dave and it reminds me I must get out to Jasper one of these weekends. I was wondering if you hit that blizzard on Sunday, it was wicked with that howling wind and snow. It caught me out in the woods wandering around, nasty for sure. Glad you got home safe.
Thanks Scott - I know we are relatively close. I forced myself and oppertunity came about. My daughter was hooking up with some friends for some boarding on the weekend. She had to work Satruday and did not want to drive by herself - so bam I said I would take her. Glad I did. And yes just outside of Edson (Wilderberry) and to about Stony Plain the bizzard was in full force. Doing about 70kmh , about 3 feet visability - and when trucks passed you could not see anything but swriling white stuff for several seconds - nerve racking driving for sure. I would have stopped and stayed the night if there was any place to and by the time we hit Stony the worst was over so what should have been about 3 - 3/12 hour drive truned into almost 5 time I was home.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Holy... mountains! Beautiful area Dave.

Someday... I've never been in the western half of Canada. IIRC, back in the 90's the flight & accommodation costs were so high that a student or "new to the work force" person couldn't really consider such a trip. I envy the fact that you are close enough to make the trip within the day.
Regards,
Marc
Thanks Marc - yeah I hear ya in the early 90's my trips were all drive trips You are well aware of the Canadian flight prices. It is cheaper for me to fly to Mexico that it is to go to PEI. And since I am still paying for 4 , Mexcio it is . If you eve get the chance come on out , Alberta / BC has some of the best landscapes you will find.

Jasper on a good clear day can be made in about 31/2 hours. Banff about 41/2. Not too shabby for that kind of scenery for sure.
01-13-2009, 08:23 AM   #27
JMR
Veteran Member

I see you are trying to rub in our faces those wild majestic mountains again, Dave. Very un-Canadian like, eh. Well, let me tell you an anecdote that came from the area you live in. When the farmers were told by tourists how wonderful it must be to live near the mountains and see this sight every day, one responded, "they're OK alright, but they kind of get in the way of the view." ;-)
01-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Woww.... today I had my Advanced Quantum chemistry exam. After exam this is the best shot of landscape
01-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
I see you are trying to rub in our faces those wild majestic mountains again, Dave. Very un-Canadian like, eh. Well, let me tell you an anecdote that came from the area you live in. When the farmers were told by tourists how wonderful it must be to live near the mountains and see this sight every day, one responded, "they're OK alright, but they kind of get in the way of the view." ;-)
Ha Ha Nice - yep when it is in your backyard some people just don't see it for sure ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Fragla Quote
Woww.... today I had my Advanced Quantum chemistry exam. After exam this is the best shot of landscape
Thanks Fragla - Advance Quantum Chemistry ummmm that is a little deep for me - best of luck !
01-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, that's a great shot. Of a gorgeous location... Sure would be rough to have to look at that view day after day after day, but I suppose I could be forced into it!

Jim (stuck by life's circumstances out in the flatlands, but at least I get to *visit* the mountains a couple weeks every year)