Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Public Service Announcement; How to prune your bare root roses
Posted By: Damn Brit, 01-12-2009, 06:48 PM

As you can see, I've had some practice at pruning bare root roses.
For established roses, the procedure is basically the same except you don't prune back so far.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-20-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Views: 2,459
01-14-2009, 04:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey, Gary. I would prune the roses all the way to its base instead. Be harsh and get good results. They are hardy plants anyway

The 2nd shot has the pattern I like.
01-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for the visual. Working on my indoor tea rose plants. The last run in with spider mites was close. the worse impact on them. but they are rebounding. I now spray everyday. I look like Lady Croft as I use two sprays! I have many indoor plants. Moved into an apartment and missed my garden. This is a great alternative. Returning to college and my schedule is only just getting internalized. Will post some of my plants' photos soon.
01-15-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Hey, Gary. I would prune the roses all the way to its base instead. Be harsh and get good results. They are hardy plants anyway

The 2nd shot has the pattern I like.
They could be taken down more, but these are for the retail market and people want something more substantial for their money. If you take them too low, they branch too densely at the base and become more prone to fungal diseases.
You also have to remember that we are doing over a thousand of them. A gardener would be much more selective and prune to outside buds.
You know they are tough, I know they are tough, any one reading this will know they are tough but if everyone knew they were tough they wouldn't spend so much money on products to keep them healthy.

QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
Thanks for the visual. Working on my indoor tea rose plants. The last run in with spider mites was close. the worse impact on them. but they are rebounding. I now spray everyday. I look like Lady Croft as I use two sprays! I have many indoor plants. Moved into an apartment and missed my garden. This is a great alternative. Returning to college and my schedule is only just getting internalized. Will post some of my plants' photos soon.
I thought about you when I posted it, I hoped you would see it.

01-15-2009, 07:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Love that first shot and thanks for the tip. (Albiet I don't grow roses but do by them on ocassion - probably not enough )