Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
New Pentax-M 50mm 1.7: some testshots
Posted By: Rense, 01-13-2009, 12:10 PM

Today my newest "asset" arrived... The 50mm 1.7 manual, won on eBay. The first thing hitting my eye to be photographed were my wifes Phalaenopsis orchids in front of the dark window. Both pictures with lens wide open....

#2 100% crop, this is a flower from another plant

Views: 1,039
01-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice Orchid shots. Maybe a bit of white balance adjustment would highlight the subject more.
Then again, perhaps you are wanting to test the capabilities of your new lens without PP.

Nice shots for low light.
01-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Nice Orchid shots. Maybe a bit of white balance adjustment would highlight the subject more.
Then again, perhaps you are wanting to test the capabilities of your new lens without PP.

Nice shots for low light.
Thank you Bruce. You're right, WB adjustment brightens the flowers, I already proved that. But these shots came just out of the box, although the last one is cropped.
01-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rense,

I love this lens too. It stays on my 2nd body all the time. (If your body looked as bad as mine, you'd have a second body too! Yuk Yuk).

Ray

01-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice capptures.

I do disagree that the color balance is the problem here though. These images are somewhat under-exposed by nearly a full stop. On the close up image the white of the flower will bias the meter... therefore tell you to stop down. In reality you need to open up a little. Run some tests and get familiar with the quirks of white or dark objects.

Stephen
01-14-2009, 12:38 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Nice capptures.

I do disagree that the color balance is the problem here though. These images are somewhat under-exposed by nearly a full stop. On the close up image the white of the flower will bias the meter... therefore tell you to stop down. In reality you need to open up a little. Run some tests and get familiar with the quirks of white or dark objects.

Stephen
Steve agrees with Stephen...both are at least 1 stop underexposed. Exposure is a challenge with Pentax-M lenses. There is a certain amount of trial and error involved. The histogram is your best friend here. On a subject like this, if you don't see a significant bump on the far right, you are not giving it enough light.

My experience with my M 50/1.7 is that there is about 1.5 stop underexposure at f/1.7 evening out by about f/4-f/5.6.

Steve
01-14-2009, 01:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Nice capptures.

Stephen
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Steve agrees with Stephen...both are at least 1 stop underexposed. Exposure is a challenge with Pentax-M lenses. There is a certain amount of trial and error involved. The histogram is your best friend here. On a subject like this, if you don't see a significant bump on the far right, you are not giving it enough light.

My experience with my M 50/1.7 is that there is about 1.5 stop underexposure at f/1.7 evening out by about f/4-f/5.6.

Steve
Stephen, Steve, this is why I like this forum! I really appreciate your comments and tips. So, after some playing with Lightroom, I agree with you both. Adjusting exposure just a little makes these photos very much better!

Thanks again for your advises. I will play with it a little "in real life" to get aquainted with this kind of situations. Like the learning , this is why I joined you all.....