Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Damn it's cold out there!
Posted By: Peter Zack, 01-16-2009, 05:56 AM

From the Alberta border east, we have been in a deep freeze the past week (-23 °C today and -36°C with the wind here). So going out shooting is just not much fun.

This shot was taken in Northern New Brunswick in a town called Grand Falls. Awesome waterfall there but almost completely frozen yesterday. The temp was -38 °C when I shot this (-43 °C in the wind). I'm good for 36 seconds at these temperatures

Anyway there was a heavy ground fog (from the river that cuts through town) and the sun was just rising. I drove to the top of a hill to overlook the town.

Views: 3,946
01-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is a very nice image Peter, like the soft streaks of fog. Thanks for showing us.

01-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CFWhitman Quote
Yes, as I was driving to work this morning I noticed that the thermometer on the bank said -16° (Fahrenheit, which is -27° Centigrade (well technically, -26 and 2/3, but the bank thermometer is neither precise nor, in all probability, accurate enough for that to be a material difference)), so I'm somewhat familiar with these types of conditions, anyway. (Oh, and just to nitpick, it's -40° on the nose that is the same in Fahrenheit and Centigrade .)

I've been thinking of taking my camera out to get some shots of the ice on the trees in the morning, but it seems I always think of it after I am already on my way, and my camera is still tucked away in my room. I've really got to start bringing it with me despite the inhospitable weather.
I stand corrected. You are right -40 is -40 in both. But even this weather offers something new that you can't get at any other time.
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Nice pic, I should have taken a few pics too... -33C this morning here in Montreal (and thankfully there was no wind). It's up to -25C now and we're expecting 0C and freezing rain thursday... talk about messed up climate!

Montreal is an island, so anywhere near the bridges where the ice breaks up, we get that really nice fog too. Yesterday morning it was pretty surreal while responding to a fire call at 5am, the trucks strobes reflected and lit up the fog when we crossed a bridge.

The problem with this nice fog is that it deposits on the roads and instantly turns to black ice.

Pat
Pat you got that right. I drove back from Toronto on Wednesday and the highways in eastern Ontario around the lake were really bad. Couldn't go more than 60 Kph in some places. Sheer ice on many roads. You need to keep a spare camera in the truck. Thanks for the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Love the picture but hate the cold. Please keep it in Canada.
Thanks for the comments on the pic. Awwwwe can't we trade for a couple of days? You can have the - stuff and I'll take your + stuff for the weekend. It's not as bad as you might think and I actually enjoy winter. Adds variety to living here.
QuoteOriginally posted by dsport Quote
Very nice!
I like the tone, its so great!
Thanks for the comments!

Last edited by Peter Zack; 01-18-2009 at 10:13 PM.
01-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #18
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Nice shot!

I was supposed to go on an outing with my photography club tomorrow, but it got cancelled because the high isn't expected to get out of the (+) 50's F. Obviously those people don't know what cold REALLY is.

Heather
Heather, that is down right funny. We won't see +50 F till the end of April. I have an outing with my group on Saturday and out of close to 100 members, I bet we'll get at least 25 show up. That would be average for a summertime outing. You gotta kick their butts and get out there. Thanks for the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Nice shot. It was -24F when I got home from work this morning and we also had some fog hanging in the air. Its quite common near moving water. The Hudson drops 80 feet here in Corinth at Palmer Falls.
You gotta give shooting there a try. I want to do some waterfall and winter shots this year. A challenge but should be cool (pardon the pun) Thanks for looking.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Peter, this photo is very engaging - looks cold but I like the irony of the "warm" color tone.

One happy result for me, reading this thread, is it makes me appreciate the sunny but "cold" (44 F) day I was complaining about a few minutes ago.

Jer
If it was that warm here, I'd be out on the sailboat. No kidding Jer, I would see sailboats on days as low as 40F. It takes a good helly Hansen or Gil suit but they do it. Trust me the warm tones didn't help my fingers. Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
That is a very nice image Peter, like the soft streaks of fog. Thanks for showing us.
Thanks Heinrich, I appreciate the comments.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 01-18-2009 at 10:15 PM.
01-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

-38 °C sure is cold, I just came in freezing as it was just -10 °C, so I am not envy to you Anyway great shot, I love the colours and the way the cold ground fog shows!

01-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #20
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Nice shot!

I was supposed to go on an outing with my photography club tomorrow, but it got cancelled because the high isn't expected to get out of the (+) 50's F. Obviously those people don't know what cold REALLY is.

Heather
Cold is anything below 65 for a high and 40 for a low. (All temps in Farenheit and as a positive number)
So it's gonna be really cold tonight here. Had to go out last night and build my hoop greenhouse to protect my tomato plants.

For Damn Brit
01-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Love the photo Peter! I have beewn in that type of cold before and it is not a happy memory. JIM
01-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #22
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
-38 °C sure is cold, I just came in freezing as it was just -10 °C, so I am not envy to you Anyway great shot, I love the colours and the way the cold ground fog shows!
Thanks Gawan. It is and if you see my original post. My wife just read this and said I'm good for 36 seconds no matter how warm or cold it is.

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Cold is anything below 65 for a high and 40 for a low. (All temps in Farenheit and as a positive number)
So it's gonna be really cold tonight here. Had to go out last night and build my hoop greenhouse to protect my tomato plants.

For Damn Brit
now you know why there are so many Canadian 'snowbirds' that come down every winter! My tomatoes won't be visible before June!. Thanks for looking and the comments.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Love the photo Peter! I have beewn in that type of cold before and it is not a happy memory. JIM
Thanks Jimbo for the comments. It's chilly here but nothing like when I lived in Labrador. -47 C the day I got off the plane. Should have gotten right back on after that day.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 01-16-2009 at 06:20 PM.
01-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

that's a nice shot, Peter. Very moody.
and I thought at -25 (C) it was cold here - brrrrrr! Hope it gets at least a little bit warmer up your way. At least enough so you don't freeze your (lenses) off.
01-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Intriguiging shot Peter.

I'm not even going to comment on the temperature.......I mean....what the hell is
-47 ??? Those sorts of numbers I can only associate with my Deep Freezer.

Rather you than me guys.

Cheers
01-17-2009, 03:09 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
My wife just read this and said I'm good for 36 seconds no matter how warm or cold it is.
Nice one...score one point for the wife.

Beautiful shot Peter = reward for venturing out in that weather. The colours from the morning sun are stunning. I can't even imagine how cold -40 C could be...not sure I want to either. Stay warm!
01-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #26
JMR
Veteran Member

It's a wonderful image, and the subtle colour and ground fog really make it.

JMR
01-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I do have some pictures of the falls and gorge in Corinth. A hundred years ago it must have been spectacular. Now there is a power dam and and old abandoned paper mill downstream and takes much of the beauty away. This is looking down from the road. This is in Corinth,NY on the Hudson River about 15 miles upstream of Glens Falls.

Last edited by reeftool; 02-07-2009 at 08:42 PM.
01-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #28
jeffkpotter

I love the way the streams of fog bisect the steeple. Wonderful capture Peter.
01-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #29
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
that's a nice shot, Peter. Very moody.
and I thought at -25 (C) it was cold here - brrrrrr! Hope it gets at least a little bit warmer up your way. At least enough so you don't freeze your (lenses) off.
Thanks for the comments and having a look Dan. It's starting to warm up here just in time for another winter storm. Yahoooo!
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Intriguiging shot Peter.

I'm not even going to comment on the temperature.......I mean....what the hell is
-47 ??? Those sorts of numbers I can only associate with my Deep Freezer.

Rather you than me guys.

Cheers
Thanks Grant. After -20 or so it doesn't matter. It's cold and you're dressed like a Michelin Man. I have friends from Au that love it here and every time we get these cold snaps, I just look at them in wonder, knowing it's 25+ back home.
QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
Nice one...score one point for the wife.

Beautiful shot Peter = reward for venturing out in that weather. The colours from the morning sun are stunning. I can't even imagine how cold -40 C could be...not sure I want to either. Stay warm!
Winter light is very different than the summer. The sun is much lower and the 'golden hour' is about 2 hours at each end of the day. Funny thing is, it renders as warmer at this time of year. Go figure!. Thanks for the comments on the shot.
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
It's a wonderful image, and the subtle colour and ground fog really make it.

JMR
Thanks for the comments. I need to shoot more this winter. The issue is motivation.
01-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #30
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I do have some pictures of the falls and gorge in Corinth. A hundred years ago it must have been spectacular. Now there is a power dam and and old abandoned paper mill downstream and takes much of the beauty away. This is looking down from the road. This is in Corinth,NY on the Hudson River about 15 miles upstream of Glens Falls.
That's quite a spot Reeftool. Nice shot. I know what you mean though, I've come across some great rivers that are now altered with a dam and you wonder what it used to look like. Dams just don;t often photograph all that well. Looks like a great place to explore though.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
I love the way the streams of fog bisect the steeple. Wonderful capture Peter.
Thanks Jeff. The fog is hard to capture and somewhat disappears in the exposure. Thanks for the comments.