Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cheap Wine Glass - With Wine
Posted By: Sailor, 01-16-2009, 07:39 PM

Here's a B&W shot of one of our A&P wine glasses (containing my wife's evening libation) shot hand held and as close as the lens would allow with my K20D/DA 70: ISO 1600, 1/45s @ f/4. This sort of thing really should be done with a tripod so that the lens could be stopped down, but - in keeping with the "bargain" glass (I'm not talking about the lens) - this image was copped on the cheap. BTW, the wine comes from a box and tastes about like the glass looks - at least in my view.

Jer

Views: 4,250
01-17-2009, 04:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The shadow makes it an interesting image. I somehow feel the image would benefit a little more contrast. I like it
01-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The shadow makes it an interesting image. I somehow feel the image would benefit a little more contrast. I like it
Thanks, James. I prepared another, more contrasty version; what do you think? Did I overdo it? The new image is first, followed by the original.

Jer

01-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I prefer the second shot Jer . Wine from a box eh ...can't say I am much of a wine connoisseur (I am suppose to I suppose at my age haha) - still love my Beer (which loves me less and less as I age on but consider the alternative I am ok with that ha ha ) - I do like the odd glass of Shiraz though ...

01-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The wine looks more drinkable in the 2nd (more contrasted) shot.
01-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #6

Think I prefer the original image, the glass looks super-imposed to me in the second pic.

I'm guessing you're not a big fan of that wine then?
01-17-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the second version better, cheap glass and all. As for the wine in a box, does it still come any other way? LOL,

01-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Like the rest Jer I prefer the second image. It also looks sharper now. JIM
01-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hey, Jer. Hope you don't mind doing a little retouch.

01-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Oops, a little too strong for the black side. I will re-do this after swim! Sorry.
01-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the comments and coaching - please keep it coming! Special thanks to James for going to the trouble of massaging the picture!

Regarding wine (and other epicurean pursuits) I am totally "tone deaf". Like Dave, my normal libation is good old beer. I also love Tanq and tonic with a lime (classic G&T), which is difficult to find well made - surprising given its simplicity.

I hope my Canadian and northern friends aren't too cold - we hit almost 70F today and tomorrow promises to be warmer.

Jer
01-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
Pentaxian

No offence, but I think this is a subject where B&W doesn't work at all. Unless the colour of the wine is as awful as it's taste, I'd exploit the nice shades of colour you should be able out of wine and some supporting lighting.

Some B&W versions of images really add something to an image. Here it doesn't work, AFAIC.
01-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
No offence, but I think this is a subject where B&W doesn't work at all. Unless the colour of the wine is as awful as it's taste, I'd exploit the nice shades of colour you should be able out of wine and some supporting lighting.

Some B&W versions of images really add something to an image. Here it doesn't work, AFAIC.
No offense taken, whatsoever - I wouldn't invite comments if I didn't want to hear answers. Here's a color version. Of course, keep in mind this is not a "serious" shot - and my interest here is technique more than anything.

Thanks for the response.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 01-17-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: senility
01-18-2009, 01:56 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Here's a color version.
Ah! Just want the doctor ordered against the depression acquired from the first versions.

It looks more like cognac than wine but I personally prefer this one a lot more. I'd try other perspectives and tighter framing (not all of the glass needs to be in the frame).
01-18-2009, 06:57 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Ah! Just want the doctor ordered against the depression acquired from the first versions.

It looks more like cognac than wine but I personally prefer this one a lot more. I'd try other perspectives and tighter framing (not all of the glass needs to be in the frame).
Thanks much for looking again and your forthright response. While I don't see any version of this picture a "keeper", I'm still more taken with the B&W variation -particularly after I goosed the contrast per James' suggestion. But, hey, the fact we see things differently is what makes the world interesting.

Jer