Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Some Street Shots
Posted By: daacon, 01-18-2009, 07:52 AM

It has been so warm here this weekend (Sorry Eastern Canada but we had our share and will get another round or two!) I went out Saturday morning and tired my hand at some street shooting. I have done this before, but mostly buildings and signs (which I did again) however this time I tried a few more people shots.

Most of these were taken with the DA* 50-135 with the lens hood,hardly a discrete set up Any comments, feedback are appreciated.

Click on Image for larger view.

Views: 4,711
01-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can try to approach to the people in the street and take headshots. It´s very difficult because most of the times people realize you´re shooting at them and pose. Besides you risk they get angry or feel uncomfortable. But the pics are very, very gratifying and you can talk to kind persons that will make feel good
01-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I like it but street photography critics are often after a story in the images, Dave.

For me, the first one is my favorite one. It tells me a story there.

The impact and mood are apparent there and I know how tough it is to do a great series of street photography.

Of course, there are so many ways to do street photography. Using a wide prime, photographers just have to be close to the subjects. There is almost an imminent need to be fearless of photographying candids. This is the hard bit to do in developed countries. However, I had seen it done. Most of the time, you treat the camera shots as some sort of documentary job like a journalist. People often react when you have fear as people can smell fear! Do it fast and move on as you are documenting everything in the wild including signs, dust or even rubbish bins. Sometimes looking a little deranged photographying everything does help.

01-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by juanraortiz Quote
You can try to approach to the people in the street and take headshots. It´s very difficult because most of the times people realize you´re shooting at them and pose. Besides you risk they get angry or feel uncomfortable. But the pics are very, very gratifying and you can talk to kind persons that will make feel good
Yes! I have tried many approaches. Just setting up with my camera in hand looking around. Snapping anything and everything. At least framing around. Being obvious much of the time. End up a fly on the wall. Many regulars now know I am out there shooting. I also have a pocket full of cards. I try to get some acknowledgment when it works well with the moment. Sometimes even go up and ask (say they are in great lighting... "Excuse me... The light here is great and I was....") Works. Also offer to delete. Also nearly always take the ones when people ask. and show them then spin and shoot more as I ask them questions on their day, gets them out of pose mode... Now I have a 2nd body and will have a wide on one and something with reach on the other. Interested in shooting with an other person too. Makes for a easing of people's suspicions. Especially if the other shooter is blond and beautiful.

Off to just that now. First a small Shaman ritual to call in the hunt!

01-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice series...
01-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Dave, I really like the 2 B&W's. JIM
01-19-2009, 06:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by juanraortiz Quote
Thanks juanraortix - yes I feel self copncious firing off at strangers at point blnak range - there was another oppertunity for a good shot I let go but. The second shot was shot from the hip mind you I was just not close enough. And it's hard to tell this was a person looking through the garbage for something to eat and or something to sell. Thanks for the advice.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
<snip> Using a wide prime, photographers just have to be close to the subjects. There is almost an imminent need to be fearless of photographying candids. This is the hard bit to do in developed countries. However, I had seen it done. Most of the time, you treat the camera shots as some sort of documentary job like a journalist. People often react when you have fear as people can smell fear! Do it fast and move on as you are documenting everything in the wild including signs, dust or even rubbish bins. Sometimes looking a little deranged photographying everything does help.
Thanks James - I think I just need to go out and do it. I am am failry outgoing person , yet still feel releuctant to ask a stranger for their photo. I have done it a few times, just have to pratice I guess like most things. Thanks for the advice.

QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
Yes! I have tried many approaches. Just setting up with my camera in hand looking around. Snapping anything and everything. At least framing around. Being obvious much of the time. End up a fly on the wall. Many regulars now know I am out there shooting. I also have a pocket full of cards. I try to get some acknowledgment when it works well with the moment. Sometimes even go up and ask (say they are in great lighting... "Excuse me... The light here is great and I was....") Works. Also offer to delete. Also nearly always take the ones when people ask. and show them then spin and shoot more as I ask them questions on their day, gets them out of pose mode... Now I have a 2nd body and will have a wide on one and something with reach on the other. Interested in shooting with an other person too. Makes for a easing of people's suspicions. Especially if the other shooter is blond and beautiful.<snip>
Thanks metroeloise - some consistent advice from you expereienced street shooters.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eastern Shore Charlie Quote
Nice series...

Thanks Charlie appreaciate the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Dave, I really like the 2 B&W's. JIM
Thanks Jimbo unlike Mountians these things move ! haha

01-19-2009, 06:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I always want to try to take this kind of pics. However, I know this is not easy.
Indeed, you have done a nice capture.
Hopes to see more in the future
01-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Nice shots Dave, that one with the Piper is a great capture.
01-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The first is great in subject, the half-gone-already person just points out the story!
01-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love how the heads and faces of everyone else are cropped out of the first photo. Often times the homeless are the faceless and nameless among us, yet the pedestrians are trying to either ignore or pass by the man without being seen. Awesome shot in the square format. Well done!
01-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You might want to have a look at Issue 9 of jpgmag at JPG Magazine: Downloads: Issue 9
01-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dsport Quote
I always want to try to take this kind of pics. However, I know this is not easy.
Indeed, you have done a nice capture.
Hopes to see more in the future
Thanks dsport - I hope to do some more and get better.

QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Nice shots Dave, that one with the Piper is a great capture.
Thanks Scott after #1 that was my favorite. I think he was hitting on that girl

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
The first is great in subject, the half-gone-already person just points out the story!

Thanks Georg that's was I was going for.

QuoteOriginally posted by PrimeObjectif Quote
I love how the heads and faces of everyone else are cropped out of the first photo. Often times the homeless are the faceless and nameless among us, yet the pedestrians are trying to either ignore or pass by the man without being seen. Awesome shot in the square format. Well done!
Thansk PrimeOnjectif - that was a byproduct of him sitting and me hurring the shot (umm yeah I planned that haha) - but I think you are right it does add to the story.

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
You might want to have a look at Issue 9 of jpgmag at JPG Magazine: Downloads: Issue 9

Thanks JC I 'll have a look and download it.
01-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PrimeObjectif Quote
I like the series but the comment above is exactly what I was thinking. It's the twist on real life. Normally the homeless are ignored and the faceless poor we walk by each day. In this shot the rich are the faceless (headless) ones and the focus is on the poor homeless guy. It's a great shot. Well captured Dave.
01-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I like the series but the comment above is exactly what I was thinking. It's the twist on real life. Normally the homeless are ignored and the faceless poor we walk by each day. In this shot the rich are the faceless (headless) ones and the focus is on the poor homeless guy. It's a great shot. Well captured Dave.
Just what I'd say if I had Peter's eloquence, Dave. Really poignant stuff - a side of you I haven't seen.

I'm impressed (but I'll still pull your chain).

Jer