Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My 'little' figure skater...
Posted By: photo_mom, 01-18-2009, 07:36 PM

Hi

As I mentioned to NaClH2O in the Ice challenge thread, those ice skating photos have eaten up my life over the last year. Finally got a chance to breathe. So I thought I'd update those who have been pestered with these types of photos from me over the past 4 years (and introduce those who haven't) to my daughter.

For reference, from the 2005 Christmas show, when she was 8:

She is now 12 and is 5'10.5" and still growing. Between buying jeans and new skates, I rarely ever have money left over for LBA these days. (That also changed last week, but that is a different story...).

These are from the 2008 Christmas show.

An axel jump:

A split jump (I know this is blurry, but she just threw it in. I watch the skaters constantly during practices to make sure I know their routines. That way I can make sure I get the jumps and hard moves during the competitions and exhibitions. This wasn't even at the height of the jump!)

A layback spin:

And the end of the routine:

Hopefully I can catch up with all of you as well and keep more current.
Views: 3,918
01-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You do have a very talented daughter Tracy but she is not so little anymore... photos aren`t bad neither. :-) Nice to hear (and see) from you again.
01-18-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sometimes I vacation in Lake Placid, and when I do I will usually take a couple of hours to visit the Olympic Arena to watch the up-and-coming skaters do their thing. But taking pictures in there is a true art: not only is the lighting poor, but the skaters move at fast speeds. The only thing that helps is their motions are so smooth and graceful, that a shooter can anticipate a good deal. Thanks for these quality shots and congratualtions for raising such a talented daughter.
01-19-2009, 03:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Tracy, so glad to see you in the forum here.

Your signature style is all written in the image number 2. A very nice dress in red as well.

Glad to see you active here again!

01-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
You do have a very talented daughter Tracy but she is not so little anymore... photos aren`t bad neither. :-) Nice to hear (and see) from you again.
Thank you Heinrich! Nope, she's not little and doesn't act little either. Oh, the teenage years are looming...

Glad you liked the pictures!
01-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Sometimes I vacation in Lake Placid, and when I do I will usually take a couple of hours to visit the Olympic Arena to watch the up-and-coming skaters do their thing. But taking pictures in there is a true art: not only is the lighting poor, but the skaters move at fast speeds. The only thing that helps is their motions are so smooth and graceful, that a shooter can anticipate a good deal. Thanks for these quality shots and congratualtions for raising such a talented daughter.
Thanks Jewelltrail! Seeing the skaters in the Olympic arena must be awesome. I've visited the one in Colorado Springs and it was terrific.

Yes, the lighting is a challenge. The overhead lights in all of the arenas around here are fluorescent and they flicker and phase so sometimes the ice is pink and sometimes it's blue and at others it's even yellow. Yuk! Setting the white balance point with a grey card or using the sideboards does no good most of the time.

My biggest challenge so far has been the outdoor, nighttime exhibition shows, though. The below are from last November. The one with the ribbon is my daughter. The jumping photo is one of the Jr. National Champions but I don't remember her name. And the last is the Pavilion to give you an idea of the lighting conditions.

I started out with the *istDS but the K10D has been a lifesaver with the image shake switch. That has saved so many photos it's unreal. I still use the DS, though. I leave the wide angle photos for that camera and use the K10D for following individual skaters.

Glad you liked the pictures!
01-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Tracy, so glad to see you in the forum here.

Your signature style is all written in the image number 2. A very nice dress in red as well.

Glad to see you active here again!
Thanks James!! Hee Hee - Philzucker would be proud of me, right?

Red is a great color on the ice.

01-19-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some nice shots of your daughter. Inside arenas are not easy as the lighting isn't always great and its difficult to get the fast shutter speeds needed. I have shot a few times in Lake Placid ( with film, not digital) and got very few keepers.
01-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Thanks James!! Hee Hee - Philzucker would be proud of me, right?

Red is a great color on the ice.
Philzucker is now concentrating on pano works these days. Hehe. He predominantly posted his work in his blog, hardly hanging around the forum that much.

He stopped doing "motion sequence" shots because of your excellent series of skating captures! I feel like dancing with the images
01-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

spiffy photos.... you looking forward to when she's older and nagging you?

the ribbon on ice is a surprise to me... didn't know they did that..

(living in australia where it's pretty damn hot doesnt give me the opportunities to observe a lot of ice skating)
01-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Some nice shots of your daughter. Inside arenas are not easy as the lighting isn't always great and its difficult to get the fast shutter speeds needed. I have shot a few times in Lake Placid ( with film, not digital) and got very few keepers.
Thanks Reeftool. I can't imagine trying to do this with film. I rarely get away from a competition with less than 500 pictures and sometimes am well into the 1000 range. Digital definitely has the advantage over film for me in that aspect.

I'd love to see a couple of yours!
01-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Philzucker is now concentrating on pano works these days. Hehe. He predominantly posted his work in his blog, hardly hanging around the forum that much.

He stopped doing "motion sequence" shots because of your excellent series of skating captures! I feel like dancing with the images
I have a link to his blog and will have to go check it out. It's been a long time since I visited it.

Oh, thanks James, but I'm very sure that he just got tired of something he mastered. Glad they make you feel like dancing!!
01-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
spiffy photos.... you looking forward to when she's older and nagging you?

the ribbon on ice is a surprise to me... didn't know they did that..

(living in australia where it's pretty damn hot doesnt give me the opportunities to observe a lot of ice skating)
Thanks Vylen! Uhhhh - not.

Yes, she does a ribbon rhythmic skate. They also do ball and hoop. The hoop is really neat. Some of the skaters are good enough to through the hoop sideways on the ice so that it's spinning on edge and skate into the hoop catching it on their foot. Hard to describe, but a joy to watch.

Hope you get some cooler weather soon. 'Tis the skating season up this way so there's always some on TV.
01-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #14
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Tracy!! I've been wondering what you've been up to since Shenandoah. I guess now I know. Wow I'm totally jealous of your awesome action shooting. Very very nice.

You going to venture up to the inauguration tomorrow? If so I'll pm you my cell and you can meet up with us is you want.
01-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Hey Tracy!! I've been wondering what you've been up to since Shenandoah. I guess now I know. Wow I'm totally jealous of your awesome action shooting. Very very nice.

You going to venture up to the inauguration tomorrow? If so I'll pm you my cell and you can meet up with us is you want.
Hi Mel!!

Thanks. It's mostly shoot a lot and weed out the keepers. Very time consuming, but it's a lot of fun.

Uhhhh, no. I'll live that vicariously through you and Mike. Can't wait to see what you guys get, though.