Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Richmond Graffiti
Posted By: knumbnutz, 01-18-2009, 07:58 PM

Hi All,
Can you class this as you own art, photographing Graffiti ?
Taken with K20D+DA*16-50 amd edited in Elements
Cheers Neil

Views: 1,797
01-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jeez, you have a better class of graffiti in Melbourne than in Adelaide! This guy's been to art school.

You raise a very interesting question, which sort of got discussed yesterday on Radio National's Artworks program. (Go to the ABC site and podcast it). They were talking about the Dada movement in the first quarter of last century and how artists took any object they fancied and presented it as art. It's a moot point whether graffiti constitutes a "found object" or whether the person who did it can claim copyright to what is, essentially, an illegal act. Someone at the Melbourne Art Gallery would probably know. My gut feeling is that you could perhaps claim the photos as your own work if you included some background in the shots, but just filling the frame with the graffiti would be borderline, IMO. Interesting.
01-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Jeez, you have a better class of graffiti in Melbourne than in Adelaide! This guy's been to art school.

You raise a very interesting question, which sort of got discussed yesterday on Radio National's Artworks program. (Go to the ABC site and podcast it). They were talking about the Dada movement in the first quarter of last century and how artists took any object they fancied and presented it as art. It's a moot point whether graffiti constitutes a "found object" or whether the person who did it can claim copyright to what is, essentially, an illegal act. Someone at the Melbourne Art Gallery would probably know. My gut feeling is that you could perhaps claim the photos as your own work if you included some background in the shots, but just filling the frame with the graffiti would be borderline, IMO. Interesting.
I am wondering at what point does it become yours ? I Certainly took the image, but then changed via photoshop.
Then another way, to look at it is that if you take a shot of say Ayers Rocks (Uluru) exactly the same as Ken Duncan took it, is it yours ? Especially if you directly took inspiration from his photo.
Cheers Neil

Last edited by knumbnutz; 01-18-2009 at 08:57 PM.
01-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knumbnutz Quote
I am wondering at what point does it become yours ? I Certainly took the image, but then changed via photoshop.
Then another way, to look at it is that if you take a shot of say Ayers Rocks (Uluru) exactly the same as Ken Duncan took it, is it yours ? Especially if you directly took inspiration from his photo.
Cheers Neil
This gets into the sticky realm of plagiarism. On the one hand, direct copying is only fraud if you try to pass it off as someone else's work, for making money out of it (ie if you were to try to sell the photo as a Duncan). On the other hand, imitation of this sort in your own name would probably still be classed as plagiarism and you could be sued for it. It's a minefield. You might have to talk to a lawyer (gasp!).

01-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi Wombat,

I saw a photo in a calender which is as good a reproduction of a shot by a famous Oz photographer (steve parrish) as you could take without it being the same shot.
Which is why i ask.

The other considerations about taking a image of graffiti or whatever is that it is your rendition/interpretation (if its not the same as the original) , like cropping, colours, lighting etc etc.
What about taking a photo of a statue which is in effect an art form similar to graffiti ?

Hehe, please take this as good hearted discussion, it is interesting to find out thoughts from people on it, so i have started a thread else where in the forum, please join in.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/47352-when-you...-your-art.html

Cheers Neil
01-19-2009, 02:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by knumbnutz Quote
Cheers Neil
It is not a question of art, IMO. I would say Dunkan had a creative moment, but you "copying" his art makes you a copyist, not a creative artist. But then remember: "everything under the sun has been seen before, there's nothing new under the sun..."
01-19-2009, 02:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Neil, I am very jealous of your photos here! I should have brought a wide prime to shoot the scenes that day :P

Voe should have same scene taken by Da 21 mm ltd.

Good work and I really love the first 2 shots