Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Inauguration 2009
Posted By: mel, 01-21-2009, 07:18 AM

(is that obvious enough? lol)

Okay here we go. This is not art. It's hard to make art out of shooting over a million people. It's more documentation of the day as I experienced it. Some shots are not that great of quality so I'm not really looking for critique, but rather just sharing my experience with my forum friends.

Please, as a courtesy to those who do not share your views, let's keep any political commentary out of this thread.

Enjoy.

Just getting started:
The capitol building (from a great distance) decked out for the festivities (I'm sure Mike got a better shot of this with the BIGMA)

Police were brought in from all over to add to the security. These were state troopers from Kentucky.

There are more. A LOT more. I'm posting about 75 or so (so far) to my flickr. I'm going to give Mike, or anyone else who was there, a chance to add to this if they would like.
Views: 5,691
01-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
This is going to be one interesting series. Keep it coming folks and thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Nish

01-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

It is amazing that you can go through such a crowd made of 6 million people. I would be suffocated to hear that sheer number of people in attendance.
01-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Great shots Mike!! I keep laughing a little at the shot of the pool. I can see you bigma hanging there. pretty funny. Again great shots guys hope to see more.
01-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Where in DC are Mike and Mel

Can you find Mike and Mel in this GeoEye shot?

http://geoeyemediaportal.s3.amazonaws.com/gallery/Inauguration_2009.jpg

01-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #20

Mike, did you catch any shots of the people running around on the frozen reflection pool?
01-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Rockin' photos, guys. I sure would have loved to have been there too.. It appears there were plenty of photo opportunities there...

Can't wait to see more.
01-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #22
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I took a few shots with the fisheye but none that were so nice as Mikes. I have more shots to post but I figure it's Mikes turn before I hog the entire thread. I have 75 posted on my flickr. I'll be a bit more selective as to the ones I post here. But if anyone is just dying to see them, they're there.

C'mon Mike. It's your turn.

I don't think it was 6 million. I read it was about 1.5ish or so. But it was still a lot of people.

01-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Very awesome!

Hi Mel and Mike!!

Those are very impressive. Can't wait to see the rest.

Mel, I really like your photo of the capital building in the sunrise. The colors of the sky set it off very nicely.

Mike, I think your bigma shot of the capital is very unique and the fisheye of the WWII monument really cool. I'm having trouble counting all of the people holding cameras up.

Okay, where were you when this picture was taken? According to the caption it was at about 11:19 AM.
Inauguration Day | Popular Science
01-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #24
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We're not in that photo. We were further back (from the capitol building) in the WWII memorial. It was a great place to watch. We were standing in the "back", out of the wind, and the sun warmed it up a bit. I was rather shocked to be reminded how cold it was up on the surface world after being down in the bowl for a while.

In the photo, all the blobs of people you see are gathered behind the jumbotrons. The big areas of nobody is the areas out of viewing range of a monitor.
01-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
We're not in that photo. We were further back (from the capitol building) in the WWII memorial. It was a great place to watch. We were standing in the "back", out of the wind, and the sun warmed it up a bit. I was rather shocked to be reminded how cold it was up on the surface world after being down in the bowl for a while.

In the photo, all the blobs of people you see are gathered behind the jumbotrons. The big areas of nobody is the areas out of viewing range of a monitor.
Yeah, I know the WWII and Lincoln are back behind where the photo ends, but I thought maybe you moved around during the day and got closer. It's too bad the satellite shot didn't include that area.

The photos you have on Flickr so far are great. I've enjoyed looking through them! Some of the over-the-head photos really give a sense of how many people were around you.
01-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #26
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Yeah, I know the WWII and Lincoln are back behind where the photo ends, but I thought maybe you moved around during the day and got closer. It's too bad the satellite shot didn't include that area.

The photos you have on Flickr so far are great. I've enjoyed looking through them! Some of the over-the-head photos really give a sense of how many people were around you.
Oh yeah we were moving around a lot but during the actual ceremony we pretty much stayed put. So at that time we were probably there. Or maybe not quite there but making our way forward from the Lincoln Memorial. But either way, we're not in that picture

And with the size of the crowd, it was more an issue of how good a view could you get of the nearest jumbotron, rather than how close could you get to the capitol building . But it was an amazing experience.

And thanks!
01-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks!

Hey Mel and Mike - thanks for posting these - nice for we landlocked Missourians to see real shots.

My daughter trailed Biden around for two days producing for ABC News. If she ships me a disk I'll add a few to this thread - they'll be Canon, but they'll be views
01-21-2009, 05:40 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Bravo! You guys did a great job documenting an incredibly memorable day. That had to have been the ultimate in street shooting.

Mike, I guess it's safe to assume the 10-17 will be on your lens map? I knew you would fall in love with that lens...
01-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #29
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Bravo! You guys did a great job documenting an incredibly memorable day. That had to have been the ultimate in street shooting.

Mike, I guess it's safe to assume the 10-17 will be on your lens map? I knew you would fall in love with that lens...
I don't think we're done yet. I'm just waiting for Mike to take his turn posting. I may give up waiting and post another batch myself here before long. Or Southy? You have anything to share with us?
01-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Ok.... sorry it took so long. Didn't have much time this evening but here is a batch...

Dawn breaks on the Inauguration - Tamron 28-75mm

The Capitol all Decked Out - BIGMA

Throngs of Excited Spectators - BIGMA

Patriotic Guardsman - BIGMA

National Museum of Natural History - 10-17mm Fisheye (a little gimmicky but I love the sky in this one)

Thanks for all of the compliments guys. We definately had a fun day of shooting. Cold, but well worth it.

Mike