Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Inauguration 2009
Posted By: mel, 01-21-2009, 07:18 AM

(is that obvious enough? lol)

Okay here we go. This is not art. It's hard to make art out of shooting over a million people. It's more documentation of the day as I experienced it. Some shots are not that great of quality so I'm not really looking for critique, but rather just sharing my experience with my forum friends.

Please, as a courtesy to those who do not share your views, let's keep any political commentary out of this thread.

Enjoy.

Just getting started:
The capitol building (from a great distance) decked out for the festivities (I'm sure Mike got a better shot of this with the BIGMA)

Police were brought in from all over to add to the security. These were state troopers from Kentucky.

There are more. A LOT more. I'm posting about 75 or so (so far) to my flickr. I'm going to give Mike, or anyone else who was there, a chance to add to this if they would like.
Views: 5,693
01-21-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Glad you guys made the trip - that was a boatload or two of people for sure. Hope the porty-potty situation was ok . Nice series I hear it was pretty cold, any issues with the camera gear and security ?

You have documented some unprecedented American history. Lookigj forward to more.
01-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

As Dave said ... really looking forward to seeing more ... was at work last night on nightshift ... and we watched the speach on TV at 3am.

Damn there was a HELL of a lot of people there ... from some of the camera angles ... the place was packed.

How long did it take to get in there and back out of there ... and more importantly ... was temperatures did you have to endure as well????
01-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are great, Mel. Looks like you were out in the middle of the Mall area?

It was quite a sight to see, I do sorta envy those who could see it in person.

And I love the shot of the Guardsman with his flags!

Jim

01-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks Mel I was not sure I could find it but you made it easy

I must say I cheated and looked at your flickr page last night. What a great ranges of shots that will help you remeber the day for years to come. I am sure we saw it all over the news and the web, but it so much more interesting when the shots are from someone you know. Well know on the internet Thanks for sharing.
01-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

OK... here are some of mine.

BIGMA - taken from the Lincoln Memorial end of the Reflecting Pool.

DA 10-17 Fisheye lens (at 10mm) - taken from the steps just west of the Reflecting Pool

DA 10-17 Fisheye lens (at 10mm) - taken from the edge of the Reflecting Pool

DA 10-17 Fisheye lens (at 10mm) - taken from inside the WWII Memorial... for this one I mounted the K10D on my monopod and set the 2 sec timer then hoisted it straight up. Made the POV much better than my eye-level view.

We stayed on the National Mall so there were no security checkpoints. I'd considered going to the parade route at some point but they closed access down very early. Since we had been careful to only carry allowed items, I doubt we would have any problems with security if we'd been able to get there.

And there were porta-potties aplenty...

Last edited by MRRiley; 01-24-2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: updated photos
01-21-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Great shots from both, especially the fisheyes

01-21-2009, 08:48 AM   #8

Mel, Mike,
Thanks for sharing your photos. I wish I would have made plans to attend. Your images are wonderful

Mel, I will look at your Flickr site for more images of this historic day!
01-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This was a portapotty "village." No waiting.

allowing a vehicle to pass below the Washington Monument

One of my camera over the head shots (copying Mike, but at 70mm, no fisheye, and I'm shorter)

A happy-to-be-there man photographing his family in front of the Lincoln Memorial. It was a very joyous crowd.
01-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #10

my pictures are definitely of the "documenting the occasion" type. I probably have about 4 that I like out of the 250 or so shots I took. I also bailed out a set of eneloops on accident when my battery compartment popped open in the hustle and bustle of the mass exodus after the ceremony. I was with friends so I had to resist climbing on things to get better pictures. Several people had no problems climbing on top of buses-cum-barricades to get better pictures.

the one downside to being atop the fences at the base of the washington monument was the tortuous wind. I will post when I get home from work, I spent last night in a warm bathtub after the 2 hour drive home.

-southy
01-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Mel & Mike: Thanks for posting. I know it must have been a tremendous experience to have been there in person to see it, and to feel the atmoshpere.
01-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Mel and Mike, thanks for sharing your adventure of a historical day. Mike, the fisheye of the WWII Memorial is outstanding, do you think you'll keep the lens or did Mel even give it back to you?
01-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #13
graphicgr8s

Great shots. And your right. No political comments need to be here at all.
01-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
Mel and Mike, thanks for sharing your adventure of a historical day. Mike, the fisheye of the WWII Memorial is outstanding, do you think you'll keep the lens or did Mel even give it back to you?
I surely wish I didn't have to send that fisheye back, cause it was a lot of fun. I think Mel enjoyed it too. It is on the top of my LBA list now though.

And yes, I agree... No political commentary in this thread please.

Last edited by MRRiley; 01-21-2009 at 11:05 AM.
01-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #15
JMR
Veteran Member

I personally never liked the fish eye lens, but I don't mind these images, because they are well taken and not gimmicky. I especially like the two with the people gathered in front of the memorial. Hopefully good things will come of this event.

JMR