Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

First Attempts at HDR
Posted By: Hannican, 01-21-2009, 12:44 PM

Don't mind the "Photomatix" stamp- I'm still working with the "trial" version...

What do you guys think?? Cool? Worth pursuing? Or a total waste of time?

Views: 2,250
01-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #16
Inactive Account

I'll try to put together some of the techniques I used on the shot above over the weekend.

01-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Hey MJ2,

That would be awesome. Thanks again.
01-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I do have 1 question about Photomatix. Everytime I use it while I'm tweaking the photo...it never looks the sam from Tone Mapped view to the final image. Does anyone have any recommendations other then doing and undoing the tone mapping.

Here's my first HDR image and it didn't look like the tweaks I made.

01-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Elwood- I noticed that too... it seems that the final processed image can be quite a bit different from what you were expecting to get.

I'm going to sit down with the program this weekend and spend some time trying to actually figure it out- have you checked out the users manual?

01-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Round 2 of HDR attempts and I've got one that I like (right now at least... I'm sure I'll change my mind later!)

01-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Last one is definitely one of your best work so far. I would tone down the darker areas a little, but now it's just nitpicking.
01-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Looks close to what the eye would see. There seems to be a slight cast toward the reds in the window lights of some of the homes however.
01-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I appreciate any and all feedback, especially since I'm still trying to figure this stuff out!

FTP: What do you mean by toning down the dark areas? (I know very little about post-processing- I didn't even crop any of my shots until I started trying this HDR thing, so any advice is MOST appreciated!). Do you mean I should actually make them a little darker than they are? Is there an easy way to do this in Photomatix, or does it require Photoshop?

Mithrandir: Like you said, this image is very close to what I actually witnessed that day. The grass is a little too bright for me, but I don't kno whow to keep it dark, while still getting the reds/yellows/and oranges of the clouds to their proper point. I also didn't notice the red haze house windows until you mentioned that... do you have any suggestions for how I could fix those in Photoshop? I'd probably do the same with a couple brake lights here and there too... if there's an easy way to do it.

01-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #24

I've been fiddling with Photomatix as well. (Well, actually both with HDR and with pseudo-Ortons.) There is a learning curve, that's for sure, particularly since the final result of HDR (i.e., after "processing") differs from the approximation. The Photomatix people actually note this in their documentation someplace.

And one problem is the tendency to blow out with color, at least for me. The trink for me has been to hold off on those first two sliders and try to use others, especially gamma, in search of an acceptable result.

But some pics are just a devil to work with. It seems especially to be the case for me that pics from "red-rock" country (southern Utah, northwest New Mexico, northern Arizona, including Grand Canyon) are real stinkers. You can see this with the following pairing ("Fire at the Grand Canyon," original, HDR):

In truth, for experimenting with Photomatix, I've been cheating by creating over/under/proper exposures in PS to feed into Photomatix. But it is also nice to use some "real" pics, and using auto-bracket on the camera sure makes it easy! (Now if we had something more than a whole valley full of nothing but snow to take pictures of!)

Lynn

Last edited by Lynn; 01-25-2009 at 08:23 PM.
01-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Lynn, I'll have to check out those other sliders... for me it seems I've been relying on a lot of "Strength", a moderate amount of "Saturation", and big adjustments to the "Luminosity" bar.

I haven't even FOUND Gamma yet, so I'll have to dig around a bit more... thanks for the tips!
01-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #26
Veteran Member

One quick adjustment to correct the red windows, without affecting everything else, might be to use the red eye adjustment tool on the windows.
01-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #27
Inactive Account

I made a post here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-software/48749-hdr-tone-m...ing-hints.html

I have noticed too that the image lately has been darker once processing the tonemapping adjustments. I have yet to go to the site or look into it yet. I just had to "overexpose" it before finalizing the tonemapped image.