Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First Attempts at HDR
Posted By: Hannican, 01-21-2009, 12:44 PM

Don't mind the "Photomatix" stamp- I'm still working with the "trial" version...

What do you guys think?? Cool? Worth pursuing? Or a total waste of time?

Views: 2,783
01-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice work... keep at it. I like the framing/persective and the colors
01-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
JMR
Veteran Member

The results look pretty good to me. If you had not told me, I would not have known it was HDR. Tried it myself, found way over the top and learning curve steep. BTW, leaning building on recatangle are so common that people do not look twice, but on the circular building, well, just keep it in mind.

JMR
01-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the ocmments!

JMR, are you saying it's better to try to always keep circular buildings pointing straight up? I've never tried shooting a circular building and have no architecture experience, so I appreciate the tip!

01-22-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
Forum Member

Just a little too much IMO... you gotta have some shadows. And the glowing(I know there's a proper name) around the building edges and in the middle of the lot in the first shot kinda ruin the effect. The "overdone glowing edifice" can be interesting with the right subject, but generally it just looks too fakey.

I think HDR is a good tool(for the right subject) for bringing a little detail from the shadows, but most that I've seen are way overdone.... most of my attempts included.

Certainly not bad for a first attempt and I know it's hard to take it easy, but the perfect HDR doesn't look like one..... unless of course you have a subject that demands the "epic, glowing icon of all things surreal" treatment.
01-22-2009, 02:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I like a bit of different look to otherwise ordinary images. These are processed uniquely and very good images for sure.
01-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback!

Jak: I both agree and disagree with your stand on HDR. For me it's more about trying to produce an image that would otherwise be impossible. I'm not even necessarily trying to reflect the reality that my eyes take in, but I'm interested in creating, like you said, an "epic glowing icon of all things surreal", yet with otherwise ordinary subjects (as Roentarre said). I'll keep your comments in mind for future attempts though- as I do agree that perhaps I went a little overboard with these two.

Roentarre: Thank you for your kind words! I'm really interesting in color and contrast, so the moment I first saw HDR images I pretty much knew I was hooked. As stated above, I agree completely with your idea about exposing otherwise ordinary subjects in a different light. To put it into terms that I think you'd understand (based on your Medicine Buddha avitar), I feel like a lot of the time I'm trying to showcase an inner-radiance that I think is inherent to basically everything- even boring old office buildings! HDR seems to provide an easier, or maybe just more intriguing, avenue for exposing that kind of hidden beauty that most of us are typically completely unaware of (consciously that is!).

01-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
Inactive Account

First trys are always fun. Bringing some depth back in is always a challenge. Just sliding around some of the sliders in Photomatix will geive some crazy images. As mentioned above, bringing in some shadows etc so the picture does not look like it has no depth.

Any of that I do in Photoshop after doing the merging and tonemapping in Photomatix. And I still don't know of one image that I am totally happy with. It's always a struggle between adding some pop and detail vs. realism.

This is one of the ones I like. I find lowing the gamma in photomatix, then in photoshop some selective color seclection of shadows copied to a new overlay layer around 10% opacity, some overlayed high-pass layers, some selective masking of them etc are good starting points to get rid of the washed out texture look. But to each their own

01-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jak442 Quote
Just a little too much IMO... you gotta have some shadows. And the glowing(I know there's a proper name) around the building edges and in the middle of the lot in the first shot kinda ruin the effect. The "overdone glowing edifice" can be interesting with the right subject, but generally it just looks too fakey.

I think HDR is a good tool(for the right subject) for bringing a little detail from the shadows, but most that I've seen are way overdone.... most of my attempts included.

Certainly not bad for a first attempt and I know it's hard to take it easy, but the perfect HDR doesn't look like one..... unless of course you have a subject that demands the "epic, glowing icon of all things surreal" treatment.
Jak,
Gotta agree with you whole-heartedly on this one. HDR captures details in highlights and shadows that would otherwise be lost, but highlights still need to be bright, and shadows still need to be dark. Here's one I did last spring - 7 exposures in Central Park, merged in CS2. I actually think it might be a tad dark in areas, but I like it enough for now.

steve
Attached Images

01-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
MJ: That photo is SUPERB! I love all the color, the lines, and the angle... fantastic! I wish I understood what you said about Photoshop, because I have no idea how to use it (though I do have CS2...). Did you take a class to learn the program, or just play around with it? What would you suggest is the best way to really delve into it?

Skeus: I really like your shot too- it doesn't really look like the type of HDR images I've seen- I wouldn't have even known if you hadn't said it was one! Well done!
01-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #11
jeffkpotter

Very nice photos! I would try other HDR software like EasyHDR and FDR tools before making a final decision with Photomatix.
01-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Trying something different... here's a more conservative attempt from this evening's sunset

*EDIT* Oh wow, this looks terrible resized...
01-23-2009, 07:39 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Thanks. I even think I layered a single good exposure of the stained glass back in since I don't like what the merging software does to them.

Most of it is just experimenting, asking people what they do, free on-line how-tos etc. then mixing and matching them to my liking. So best way to dive in is the free way
01-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hey Hannican,

You did a really good job at HDR. I'm just starting it myself and I find it's a little difficult as well. Maybe we should keep in contact and learn together. I've got some great videos that I found on the net if you are interested.

Elwood
01-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Hey MJ2.

I would like to get some ideas from you as well. It looks like you really know what you are doing and would love to learn from you if that's aright.