Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A few winter scenes
Posted By: maritimer, 01-25-2009, 09:54 AM

Hey all,

Haven't posted in a while for some reason, I'll try to stop that habit from forming . The beauty of the Atlantic Coast is during the winter, there are literally thousands of areas to go and photograph. Hope you enjoy these and, as always, C&C welcomed. Thanks for looking

This one, I know there quite a bit of CA going on, but for some reason I still like it :

• k10d · F4.5 · ISO 100 · 1/250 @ 88mm •

• k10d · F5.6 · ISO 400 · 1/90 @ 95mm •

This last one I'd definitely appreciate some critique on. I'll admit it's ok, nothing stellar but something about it just throws me off. I almost refrained from posting this one but figured, where better to get serious critique and advice than here, right?

• k10d · F13 · ISO 100 · 1/20 @ 20mm •

VeeJay
Views: 2,749
01-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great series, VJ! It's hard to choose between #1 and #3!
01-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice set, my favourite is the last landscape!
01-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Like them all, but the last one is my favorite!

01-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Agreed. One and three are the best shots. The lighting is superb in the 3rd shot. Always a lover for wonderful lighting
01-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow, thanks a lot guys! I honestly didn't expect such a positive reaction to these. It's such a nice treat for me to receive words like you all have given and know I'm at least going in the right direction lol.

I'm most happy that #3 is a 'liker'. I was really unsure of that one.
01-25-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Beautiful Shots,,,,,,,,,,,By The Way what is that white stuff? Sand?
01-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They are all beautiful!

01-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

#3 imo isn't "technically perfect" but it's still a great shot =) My 2c on #3:

The cloud blends too well with the smokes (fog? waves?) on the right of the picture. Although the smokes in this case makes for a more interesting image, the lack of contract with the cloudscape kinda of detracts from it. The fog also results in contrast between the center stones.

The composition is really breaking the two thirds rule, but in this case I think it breaks it quite well since there is a nice balance of interest between top and bottom. Try putting the horizon line not on the center (using different framing, it probably won't work on this particular composition).

Come back there some other time to see if the cloudscapes and light become more interesting

I really like #1 myself =) I've tried getting a good snow macro but you came on top of mine and honestly think it might benefit from the placement of a lego figure
01-26-2009, 04:14 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes Andi, that's exactly what I was hoping to get. Some advice on how to make #3 a better shot. I must have taken around 20 shots or so and I just couldn't find the sweet spot that blending the sky and the 'sea smoke' where they were both clearly defined.

It was so cold that morning, the smoke / fog was literally everywhere and all around me. I knew the potential for a great shot was there, I just fought w/ the sky / smoke thing. Next time, ( god forbid it gets that cold again ) I'll tough it out a bit more until I get that seperation perfected. Thanks for the insight Andi, greatly appreciate it.

And yes, I was thinking about the Lego men when I was taking #1. Almost titled it "Mini Everest" on my flickr page

QuoteQuote:
Jewelltrail says:
They are all beautiful!
QuoteQuote:
Fl_Gulfer says:
Beautiful Shots,,,,,,,,,,,
Thank you very much for the kind words, guys. I'm glad these shots got such good overall reviews.