Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
what have I done wrong here?
Posted By: johngs, 01-25-2009, 03:34 PM

These are amongst the first shots I have taken with my new K200D. I used P or landscape mode as I am new to DSLR. I dialed in +03 as many people suggest.
They look pretty bad to me. Can anyone suggest what settings I should have used or changed? Thank you.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 

Views: 1,818
01-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+03 EV compensation?

If so, that's your problem- these are overexposed quite a bit.

Put it down to maybe +01 for now, and see how the pictures comes out. You can also check the histogram right after taking a photography, and if the little chart goes off the right hand side of the graph, that means your over-exposing the shots (so much light is coming into the camera that those pixels can't record anything but white space in those locations).

That very first shot you posted looks like it was directly into the sun, which will almost always cause highlights to blow out (which is why there's a giant white space on the top right hand side of your image). The +3 EV compensation + a shot directly into the sun will = over-exposure each and every time.

Someone more intelligent than me can explain all this in far fewer words, but hopefully I've helped at least a bit.
01-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi

My 2 cents:

Read the manual
Use/activate the histogram
Use M, AV or TV modes and forget the rest.

I did and my pictures improved a lot
01-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
SMC PENTAX LENSES
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Hi

My 2 cents:

Read the manual

What netuser said.

With a K10D I start at default -0.3 EV outdoors in bright light, +/- 0.0 in morning and late afternoon light outdoors, in Av. I check the histogram and adjust where necessary.

01-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

They appear to be badly overexposed. I have found the K10D tends to underexpose mostly with pictures that are about 80 percent bright greens. With a similar sensor in the K200D I would try no compensation for the shots you tried above. Checking the histogram (right side) you could try small incremental increases until you get the curve close to, but not touching, the right side.
01-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Example 3&4 have large areas of shadow/darkness in the frame together with brighter regions. While human eyes quickly accomodate these huge differences in range of light intensity your camera will not. Using P mode or landscape mode probably is causing the camera meter to average out the light which probably renders both poorly, or if the lens is pointing mainly into either one extreme or the other, to cause the image to under or over expose the opposite region.
Compose appropriately and meter for the region you think is most important to have measured correctly. Photography in tall canyons in the middle of the day can be challenging due to the bright highlights and deep shadows. Use Raw to recover the other region in post processing.
Apologies if you know all this already.
01-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Also, while not a cure, if you shoot RAW ISO 200-400 you have a lot of lattitude to fix misexposures later.
01-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #8

Original Poster
ok, thanks for all the advice guys. I'll start over and try what you say.

01-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #9
Inactive Account

What was said above. play with manual mode etc. My first DSLR shots were downers too as I expected the camera to be more or less a super point ans shoot doing everything for me.

It is like going from an automatric transmission to a manual. it takes a while to learn the control now in your hands, but once you do, you'll never want to give it up.
01-27-2009, 09:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Hi

My 2 cents:

Read the manual

I will add my 2 cents to this.

Forget everything everyone else tells you

you need to learn for yourself.
01-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Looks like you got all the advices you need! Now, looking past the difficulties, I find these photo very nice, great scenery and good compositions!
01-28-2009, 01:10 AM   #12

Original Poster
Georg - thank you for your comments.
01-28-2009, 01:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Summer sun in NZ says there is going to be more then enough light to start with, use the preview as a rough estimate on what you are going to get, whether you compensate for brightness by upping the shutter speed or by dropping the exposure is your choice, but both will get you there, if doing moving objects like wildlife or vehicles faster speeds would be my preffered option.