Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winter wonderland
Posted By: ve2vfd, 01-26-2009, 09:06 PM

Was at Scout Camp this weekend with the kids... didn't manage to get too many pictures as it was cold (in the -20 range during the day) and my batteries kept freezing on me.

The lake was a little frozen

A snowshoe hike

The cabins we were staying in with a bit of snow on the roof

Pat
Views: 1,576
01-27-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Beautiful scenery and the snow is sooo white.

Great place to do a hike and wish you all the best with the new year
01-27-2009, 01:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stunningly beautiful. Would love to have the opportunity to take photos like these.
01-27-2009, 05:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Simply a wonderful Canadian winter scene Pat well done.

01-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
roentarre ... Thanks, yes the snow was quite pristine! The Scouts in front of me were breaking the trail.

bramela ... Thanks, those were my favorite 3 pics from the weekend. Don't forget that "the opportunity" to take pics like that comes with a COLD price

daacon ... Thanks, I find the snowshoe hike pic really says "Canadian Winter"

Pat
01-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is what we do at camp when it's that cold... (they are only snapshots BTW...)

In the morning, we pile up snow in a mound thats around 7-8ft high and let it settle. Then in the afternoon, we hollow it out. It's called a Quinzee (sort of a non polar version of an Igloo).

And then at night, 4 of the kids sleep in the Quinzee. It's -27C outside, but a quinzee insulates so well that it's never below -5C inside. We had to poke vent holes in the ceiling on this one as the temp got up to +5C.

To give you an idea of the size of this shelter it slept 4 very comfortably, and had enough room for 12 of us to sit in it with room to spare.

And of course, the next morning when the Quinzee is no longer needed the kids have a blast destroying it. The snow dome by now has turned to ice and is so solid that they can stand on it. They have to jump with both feet to break it.

And thats how I spent part of my weekend with a dozen kids

Pat
01-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That's sensational, Pat

01-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderful scenery Pat.

You obviously love what you do and its easy to see that these kids appreciate the efforts too.

Cheers
Grant
01-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Here is what we do at camp when it's that cold... (they are only snapshots BTW...)

In the morning, we pile up snow in a mound thats around 7-8ft high and let it settle. Then in the afternoon, we hollow it out. It's called a Quinzee (sort of a non polar version of an Igloo).

And then at night, 4 of the kids sleep in the Quinzee. It's -27C outside, but a quinzee insulates so well that it's never below -5C inside. We had to poke vent holes in the ceiling on this one as the temp got up to +5C.

To give you an idea of the size of this shelter it slept 4 very comfortably, and had enough room for 12 of us to sit in it with room to spare.

And of course, the next morning when the Quinzee is no longer needed the kids have a blast destroying it. The snow dome by now has turned to ice and is so solid that they can stand on it. They have to jump with both feet to break it.

And thats how I spent part of my weekend with a dozen kids

Pat
That brings back fond memories... When I was a Scout, we did a winter survival/camping/etc course (out in Seattle WA) that included building igloos and other varieties of snow shelters. Our "practical exam" was a weekend camp up on Mt Rainier at Paradise Inn (about 4500 ft elevation, PLENTY of snow). Somewhere I have old snapshots of about a dozen Scouts standing atop our igloo as we tried to destroy it :-)

Glad your group had fun!

Jim
01-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Very nice photo series, the second set is so much fun. In the first set, I love the middle one!
01-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

A great series of photos telling an interesting story. That must be great fun for the kids, as its written all over their faces, they are having a great time.

# that you mention the price that such great scenery comes at is more than I could imagine, I have never experienced a minus temperature of any degree, so I doubt I would survive too long, (says he as he endures the very hot and the very dry.
Pass me another iced water )
01-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Kris ... Thanks!

Grant ... Well, sometimes you wonder about the kids... but hey as long as it's fun I'll keep doing it

Jim ... Always good memories eh? Snow shelters are pretty hard to break. It always surprises the kids, how they can be fragile before they sleep in it, and almost concrete the next day.

Georg ... Thanks! I also really like the second pic... good thing I had snowshoes though, the snow is more than a meter deep!

Bruce ... Well, you could spend a weekend in a walk in meat freezer that may come close... just add wind and snow! hee hee hee!

Pat
01-28-2009, 04:39 PM   #13
Thumper473

Pat,
Not only do you take wonderful photos but what you are doing with those youngsters is priceless too. Thank you, Sir! The world needs more folks like you.
01-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #14

Very nice shots. Beautiful scenery.
Thanks for sharing.

Sohail