Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
EVERYONE: Who's your daddy??
Posted By: soccerjoe5, 01-26-2009, 09:12 PM

I couldn't resist with the title

I'd like to invite everyone: Show and tell in 10 or less photos about your dad

---------

This is my dad.

My dad just recently retired from his job. He worked at a bank for about 30 years (I believe).
He's a very well-respected executive, VERY hard working. He's a very good provider.

My dad just recently retired and instead of rushing off to work in the morning, he's up early for breakfast and watches tv. I'm very happy for him.
It seems Bloomberg is still his favorite channel (he worked for a bank) and he has this habit of biting his nails when watching tv.

Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks? He just turned 60 and I got him an Ipod Touch to play with

He loves golf. We spent the holidays at an island. My dad and his buddies
brought a few golf clubs and played little tourneys. My dad's a hussler

My dad's a nature lover. He loves trees. He brought some property
in the mountains, about an hour and a half (drive) from our home.
He keeps planting. Here he is showing the trees and fruits to my mom.

My dad's an explorer. He's interested in pretty much EVERYTHING.
We're constructing roads and a bridge to our property in the mountain.

Since he's an explorer, he LOVES walking. He loves walking everywhere for hours.
Not bad for a 60 year old

He always wears hats when going out of town and this is one of his favorites.

My dad's an amazingly loving husband. My mom can be a real pain at times, but his love for her is unwavering

Lastly (but definitely not the least), he's simply an awesome dad

Diego
Views: 3,294
01-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great series, Diego!

My dad lives 4 hours away, and I don't have a lot of good shots of him. This has inspired me to change that!
01-26-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Damn Brit

What a wonderful sentiment, maybe you should have saved it for Fathers Day.
Great photos as well.
Unfortunately I have no pictures of my father, he has been dead for a long time.
01-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Great series, Diego!

My dad lives 4 hours away, and I don't have a lot of good shots of him. This has inspired me to change that!
Thanks Jay! I hope you'll share your photos of him someday

01-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
What a wonderful sentiment, maybe you should have saved it for Fathers Day.
Great photos as well.
Unfortunately I have no pictures of my father, he has been dead for a long time.
Sorry to hear that, Gary. Hmm I never thought about saving it for Fathers Day. Thanks for the compliment!
01-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I LOVE the one in the nature. looks like a shore from a Scorsese move
01-27-2009, 04:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
I LOVE the one in the nature. looks like a shore from a Scorsese move
Never thought of that Thanks!

01-27-2009, 05:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

A great tribute to a person whom most can relate to. I don't have a lot of pictures of my father either. That generation was probably the last that will work at one place for 30+ years (my dad was in the air force) , retire and enjoy the benefits of a job well done (My dad is a snowbird the winters in Arizona).
01-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wonderful series, Diego! It is great to see him in activities not just "posing". This also made me conscious that I have only very few digital pictures of my father, more on older slides.
01-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Here's my Dad. He passed away 11 years ago; just a few days shy of his 70th birthday.

This first one was taken 1950. A shiny, new constable with his dirty, old police cruiser.

The second was taken after retirement, doing what he enjoyed most - bass fishing! I remember taking the picture - some time in the mid '80's.

I really miss him. He was a great Dad.

Last edited by J.Scott; 03-30-2009 at 03:27 AM.
01-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
Inactive Account

WOW! Great shots!! Made me miss my family even more. I live 11 hours away from them and don't get to see them very often. This gives me a good idea for when I do get to go home and visit. I can get shots of both my parents.

Wonderful photos and a great idea!! Good job!!
01-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, here's my daddy and mommy on their 40th anniversary just a couple weeks ago.

01-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Unfortunately I don't have many photos of my dad, but I did get some on my recent trip back home to Florida. Not much of a story to go with them, so I'll give a brief bio up front.

He was born in Virginia Beach, Virginia, to a father who was a Navy Captain, and at age 17 he quit high school to join the Navy. A few years later, of course, Vietnam happened. Luckily in a relative sense, he shattered his knee in a horse riding accident days before he was supposed to ship out (he was to be a riverboat pilot on the Mekong), and he ended up in traction for six months. When he got out they sent him to the Mediterranean, where he spent several years floating around from Crete to Cyprus to Malta, and so on. Meanwhile, 75% of his unit in Vietnam came back in body bags.

When he left the service he set up a construction company in Hot Springs, VA, and did pretty well (including marrying my mom!) until the recession hit. At that point he and mom moved to Seattle, where I was born. They were only there a short while before moving to Sun Valley, Idaho, where he built log cabins. A trip to Florida for my mom's brother's wedding brought the family to the state for the next 24 years, where he had another successful construction business on Palm Beach.

Nowadays he manages a condo building on Singer Island, which is where these photos were shot.

He shoots Nikon

Dad and I:

And here's one from waaaaay back:
01-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Nice photos, everyone. Unfortunately, my Dad left when I was 11 and I never saw him again. He died of a stroke in 1981. Funny thing is, I'm almost 66 and I can see his face just as clear as ever.
01-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Great thread, Diego.

I don't have many photos of my Dad. He was usually the one behind the camera. Either his Clarus MS-35 range finder he picked up around 1948(ish) when he was on his Post WWII whirlwind tour of the South Pacific or the Wollensak Model 43 8mm movie camera with the Sylvania SunGun attached blinding us kids on Christmas morning as we descended upon the presents under the tree.

He was a mechanical engineer and an active member of the ASA and PE communities. His career started off with the rebuilding of Pearl Harbor and then Guam after the war. Shipped off to Japan briefly and then Korea where while I'm not sure exactly what his job was there - he was the guy that scuttled the barges and boats in Inchon Harbor as the last of the civilians pulled out. He often lamented watching the trunk of tools his step father gave him (a tool and die man) sink to the bottom of the harbor as they departed.
A little while before I was born he took a job with Thiokol out in Utah with the team building the Titan II rockets (yeah, he suspected o-ring failure as the probable cause within about 30min of hearing Challenger exploded). He finished out his career working on oil field systems building SO2 scrubbers and other flow mechanics related things. This is where my board nickname comes from, by the way. I think I was about 9 or 10 and as usual getting under foot while he was drafting a schematic. I asked what it was and he said it was a "venturi" and then explained how they worked. I thought that was way cool and somehow it stuck with me. Many years later I needed to come up with an interweb name and it just seemed appropriate - tada.

He was a really great man and a very good father, though I didn't really realize it until I was nearly 30. He wasn't really a hands on type of father but I learned so much just from the example he set in how he lived. He's who I aspired to be like since I was very young - even while I was rebelling against the very idea throughout my adolescent and teenage years. I'm living proof that youth is wasted on the young.

Dad passed away June 1998 after a long battle with bone cancer. A few months before he succumbed we had our last really good talk. We shared some good beer and chatted about girls, the time we each had spent in southeast Asia, how our careers had taken similar paths down different roads. He told me he was happy with how he'd lived his life, of the things he had accomplished, that he had no regrets at all and that he was ready to move on. It was a really, really good moment between us.

Here are a few photos.

Earliest photo I have digitally at the moment - cutting the cake

Pretty sure this is from his office in Tremonton at Thiokol.

And I believe this portrait was taken for either the Scottish Rite or the ASA.

And a couple shots of his cameras, both of which I still have.