Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Mid-Winter's Tale
Posted By: Venturi, 01-27-2009, 02:39 PM

Our protagonist, and narrator, woke up this morning to the sound of something tapping on the skylight...
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.perzactly.com/posts/2009/01/JDG05902.jpg[/IMGWIDELEFT]
"Oh No!" he exclaimed. "We're encased in ice!"

Fearing the doors must be frozen solid, he lifted the garage door and peered out onto the scene...
[imgwideleft]http://www.perzactly.com/posts/2009/01/JDG05881.jpg[/imgwideleft]
"Oh My. There's not one single soul in sight. Not even a rabbit's footprint to break up the icy tundra/wilderness/wasteland." he sighs. Convinced he and his family are the only life left on this post-apocalyptic globe, yet determined to survive and rebuild the human race, our hero rushes back inside and begins rubbing two sticks together until...
[imgwideleft]http://www.perzactly.com/posts/2009/01/JDG05900.jpg[/imgwideleft]
"I have made FIRE!" exclaims our narrator, beating his chest with great fervor.

Now satisfied his family shall survive the harsh blizzard that has beset what must be all of the Earth, our hero settles down for a hearty lunch.
[imgwideleft]http://www.perzactly.com/posts/2009/01/JDG05905.jpg[/imgwideleft]
The End

Okay, so who else here is tired of winter?
Shot the above this morning just farting around to have some new material to learn my way around Lightroom a bit more.

p.s. - Strobist info for Shot #2: This shot was done with a single light setup. I positioned a SolSystems Cloud Soft Box (extra large) on a SolSystems SunBrite monolight directly above the subject at approx. 1100 ft MSL.
Views: 2,095
01-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Jim, it's great that there's going to be electricity (to heat soup) in the post-apocalypse period.

Neat series.

Jer
01-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

LOL, thanks for story, Jim, and those good photos! The skylight looks like a beautiful abstract painting!
01-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great story with nicely describing images

Thanks for posting!

01-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Glad you all enjoyed my little picture story. Who says boredom can't breed desperate creativity?!

I've been in babysitter mode mostly for the past month with work - chained to the desk with very little to do - and have been crawling out of my skin. Took the shot of the neighborhood "vista" just to see how the exposure meter behind the viewfinder was working and dig into Lightroom2. Then the boredom thing set in and the ole noggin needed an outlet. And it all kind of spun out of control from there.

If nothing else, I learned 2 new things: food and fire are not easy subjects to shoot ... well.
01-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Thumper473

Thanks for making me smile. Glad I ate prior to seeing that lunch too.