Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A few wedding pics with K20...
Posted By: Mic, 01-27-2009, 04:56 PM

Hi All,

I've finally worked up enough nerve to post a few pics from my first digital wedding with my K20D. I'm a long-time shooter (my first Pentax was a brand new Spotmatic II in my high school days) but only recently got seriously into digital. I'm in hook, line, and sinker now!

Thanks to some great threads here from which I gained much counsel and some kind responses to some PM's sent to a few of you here about equipment suggestions, etc, I felt confident enough to say yes to a friend's request to take their wedding pictures. I'm very grateful for the great community this forum represents!

I shot with 3 lenses: Tamron 28-75/2.8 (thanks Heather, for your recommendation!), and two lenses I rented from CameraLensRental.com (they are great people to work with): DA* 16-50 and DA* 50-135. Each one performed wonderfully! I also rented a second K20 for backup.

I forgot to keep the EXIF intact when exporting from Lightroom (still a beginner with it...), so I'll include info with each pic.

Shoes/Flowers with window light: Tammy 28-75/2.8 @ 55mm, 1/200, F4, ISO800

Bride/Groom with window light against black BG, all natural light. Tammy 28-75/2.8 @33mm, 1/60, F4.5, ISO400

Bride/Groom/Ring with emphasis on the ring, with window light only, DA*50-135 @ 123mm, 1/60, F4, ISO400

Dress/flowers detail, Q-Flash w/Normon 18" softbox, AF540 bounced into white umbrella, flashes triggered w/Cybersync, Tammy 28-75/2.8 @ 50mm, 1/40, F8, ISO200

Gotta have one B&W conversion. Bridal portrait, Tammy 28-75 @55mm, 1/30, F8, ISO200

Ceremony shot, available light (VERY dark church...). Almost no processing done to this. Just wanted to show what high ISO can do: DA* 16-50 @ 50mm, 1/30, F4, ISO 2500

Well, that's probably more than enough. The bride and groom seem pleased, and I was very impressed with the K20's performance. I did have a bit of difficulty with focus with some movement shots in very dim light, but I think most any camera would have struggled with that, too. All pics were processed in Lightroom 2.2 for minor adjustments for exposure, etc, and moderate sharpening was applied. No noise reduction was used for the last shot at ISO 2500, but it's pretty clean even without NR.

I had great fun, but was relieved when it was over!

Thanks for looking.

Mic
Views: 2,456
01-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Forum Member

Very nice. I like the shot through the candle holder. Nice touch with the B+W shot as well. I am shooting my sister's wedding this summer. I am a little bit anxious about it right now. I'm actually still trying to put my camera kit together. I may have to pick your brain for a few pointers! Those are some nice shots.
01-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you did a wonderful job - excellent series. I love the the last shot as well. The Birde in in focus in all shots and that is important. Not a real fan of the 4th shot but hey that's just me. I do like all the others though.
01-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
Mic

Original Poster
Thanks Presto! I appreciate the encouragement! I garnered lots of hints here from people in this forum. Very helpful stuff. Do a search on weddings and you get lots of great threads on it. Peter Zack was especially helpful, but so were a number of others. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you have and I'll be honored to dialog with you.

Mic

01-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Mic

Original Poster
Hey Daacon,

I appreciated your feedback. I understand your thoughts about #4. It would never had occured to me to do this sort of shot, but the Wedding Photog forum on FredMiranda had a lot of samples of shots showing the details of the dress. So much goes into selecting the dress that brides like to see some shots that show off its details and texture. Me? I like people shots most!

All the best,

Mic
01-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very Good Work!
I could never get up the nerve to do a wedding, and I'm sure the couple's are happy. lol
01-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OMG I'm responsible (at least in part) for this mess??

Just kidding. for a first time at this you did a great job. Ask Pat and a few others about weddings and you'll just hear screaming off into that deep dark night. It's a lot tougher than people realize. You don't stop and at the end of the day, I'm always tired. You're constantly thinking about the next shot and trying to anticipate what's next.

I like them all. I agree with Dave on the 4th shot. I like the idea but a more front facing image would have worked better. The elbow is just too prominent. The rest are great though.

If you notice the wordpress blog in my signature, you might enjoy some of the coming articles. There will be 3 or 4 shortly about wedding shooting as well as other topics.
01-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi Mic,

I guess my taste is a bit different from the other reviewers
The idea of last shot with the candle holder is good but somehow the picture doesn't work for me. I guess because it's too crowded for me and I have difficulty deciding what to look at.
I like the 3rd & 4th(yes the one with the elbow) the most. I agree that if she were to be clapping and the elbow was out of the picture it might be even better, but as the elbow is less sharp than the dress and has less contrast it doesn't bother me so much.
Overall I think you did a good job with the lighting and besides the last (nr 6) I like your compositions/crops.
So well done on your first wedding shoot and keep up the good work.

Steven

01-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
Mic

Original Poster
Thanks all!

Thanks everyone for looking and for the C&C. I deeply appreciate each comment and suggestion!

I will work on that last pic a bit. I hadn't cropped it at all, so maybe I'll trim a little behind the preacher's back, and then do a slight vignette to help focus the eye more toward the bride inside the candlelabra. That should help some.

I'll keep at it. I appreciate the encouragement. That's why I love this forum.

Mic