Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First hot plants, now flying sharks!!!???
Posted By: NaClH2O, 03-25-2007, 07:31 PM

First time really putting my new-to-me Pentax SMC 300mm F4 thru it's paces. To say I'm pleased would be an understatement. First image is about a 60% crop, the second about 100% You can even pick up the kite string!

NaCl(I've seen dragons and butterflies before, this is the first time I saw a shark)H2O
Views: 1,515
03-25-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

The second one is fantastic! Why so much noise on the first one?
03-25-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice title, Salty. Made me laugh pretty good today I never saw a kite like that too!
03-26-2007, 06:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SuperJared Quote
The second one is fantastic! Why so much noise on the first one?
I love typos! My comments should have read "The first image is about a 160% crop, the second about a 100% crop." I think the noise is due to the extreme crop for the most part. Both taken at ISO 200 and hand held. Some bump in contrast, saturation and levels, but none in sharpening. Only sharpening done by ACR.

NaCl(happy with it, considering the extreme crop)H2O

03-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Hi NaCL H20:

Is that 300mm an old manual version (no "A" on the aperture) like this "ugly" one I got from KEH for $99 (but returned due to image problems)?

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/Tests/ugly.jpg
03-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Hi NaCL H20:

Is that 300mm an old manual version (no "A" on the aperture) like this "ugly" one I got from KEH for $99 (but returned due to image problems)?

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/Tests/ugly.jpg
Same lens but mine was a bunch more expensive ($300 including shipping) and was an "E" instead of a "U". There was some chromatic aberration, in some shots, especially into the sun, and some flare, but mostly OK. I'm about ready to post a few more shots with it, you can check them out. I guess the grade difference makes an IQ difference.

NaCl(leastwise I'm mostly happy with mine)H2O
03-28-2007, 06:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You beat me to it!!

Hi!

These are really neat kites, aren't they? Much more interesting than the old diamond shaped ones we used to make. I've got some pictures from the kite fly-in on March 10 that I've been trying to get ready to post and you beat me to it!

These are great pictures. That 300mm lens is fun to use, isn't it? Looks like you had a lovely day to put it to use!

I enjoyed the cabbage pictures, too!

03-28-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Hi!

These are really neat kites, aren't they? Much more interesting than the old diamond shaped ones we used to make. I've got some pictures from the kite fly-in on March 10 that I've been trying to get ready to post and you beat me to it!

These are great pictures. That 300mm lens is fun to use, isn't it? Looks like you had a lovely day to put it to use!

I enjoyed the cabbage pictures, too!
Hi Tracy, glad you enjoyed the kite. You should post yours too, I was only able to get the shark, as soon as I pulled into the parking lot the wind started dying and everybody else stopped flying. I would love to see your shots.
You are right, the 300 is fun. I've never been terribly happy with the results from the DA 50-200. They are OK but only "just". Besides the extra reach, the 300 is much sharper when focused out at infinity. In addition I've found a rig that will support it on a tripod so I can get some moonrise shots.

NaCl(and I had fun finding and shooting the skunk cabbage pics too)H2O
03-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Just seeing Tracie's shots. No wonder your photos ring a bell.

I like the 2nd shot the best as well
03-29-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jimmy Buffet talks about sharks swimming on the land but he didn't mention any flying in the air (perhaps that only happens after several trips to margaritaville).

Seriously, the second shot is super, my friend.

Jer