Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Red-Shouldered Hawk (DA300+Tamron 1.4 TC)
Posted By: Toshi, 01-30-2009, 09:43 PM

I should really be using my newly purchased 50-135 some more but the DA300 + Tamron 1.4 TC combo is really something.

Apparently this one likes to smoke grass

And here's a cropped version.

If any DA*300 owners are looking for a little bit of extra reach without sacrificing image quality, I'd highly recommend the Tamron 1.4X MC4 teleconverter!

Looking at those shots, you'd think I'd be out in the wild somewhere. But a quick look to the side of me and I'm reminded that I'm in the city

Thanks for looking and let me know what you think!
Views: 1,872
01-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These are wonderful! I am impressed that the tamron 1.4 tc works so well with the DA*300.

I own a tamron 1.4tc. I understand they made 2 different types in Pentax mount. The one I have says Pz-AF MC4 on it. Is that the same one you were using here? Maybe I'll have to match it up with the f*300 I have and see how it works.

Do you shoot with the combo hand held? These are really great.

oh, and the catch light in the hawks eye makes these really stand out too.

Last edited by LaRee; 01-30-2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: catch light
01-30-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
These are wonderful! I am impressed that the tamron 1.4 tc works so well with the DA*300.

I own a tamron 1.4tc. I understand they made 2 different types in Pentax mount. The one I have says Pz-AF MC4 on it. Is that the same one you were using here? Maybe I'll have to match it up with the f*300 I have and see how it works.

Do you shoot with the combo hand held? These are really great.

oh, and the catch light in the hawks eye makes these really stand out too.
Thanks so much LaRee I keep getting impressed by this combo whenever I see the results it can produce.

You're right, they did make a couple versions. I researched before buying one and the MC4 seems to be the one to get since it works with SDM (even though I use a DS now, it's good to know it'll work when I decide to upgrade the body). So yeah, I have the MC4 which I was able to pick up brand new on eBay for $59

All of these were hand held. That's what I love about the DA*300 - it's so compact! Having an equivalent 420mm f/5.6 that can be hand held is a joy to use. Even before getting the TC, I would use my DA* 300 as a 'walkaround' lens so I'm use to the weight

Thanks again for the comments!
01-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Those are really nice. I'm consider selling my Bigma to partially fund a DA* 300 + TC combo, and I'd love to see some 100% crops from your photos so I can better judge the sharpness you're getting. They look very sharp at the size posted, but pixel peeping sometimes shows something else entirely

01-30-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Your post inspires me to give the tamron tc a try with the f*300 I have. Which btw, is much smaller, and lighter than your DA*300
01-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Those are really nice. I'm consider selling my Bigma to partially fund a DA* 300 + TC combo, and I'd love to see some 100% crops from your photos so I can better judge the sharpness you're getting. They look very sharp at the size posted, but pixel peeping sometimes shows something else entirely
Wanna see a crop of the f*300? No tc involved but dang it is sharp. I only provide a link to this crop because I just put it up for someone else.
LaRee : photos : forum stuff- powered by SmugMug
The last two photos in this gallery are the original image of the crops. I was much close than Toshi was to the bird. The original file is here:
Flickr: lareecb's Photostream
first two shots in my flickr stream.

I am sure the DA*300 performs just as well. But the f*300 is a lot smaller, more lightweight and has a built in retractable lens hood.

Last edited by LaRee; 01-30-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: forgot a word. ;)
01-31-2009, 12:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks LaRee, Very impressive (you're not trying to sell it are you? - hint, hint...) I've no doubt that any of the * tele-primes are tack sharp, but I've never played with one of these nice 1.4x TC, only a 2X from which I found the results unacceptably soft. So many people seem to love their TCs, and the convience seems great, but if it's a noticable hit to IQ, I'll have to pass.

01-31-2009, 12:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

So you are also trying to get a bit more reach with the DA*300 by adding a TC. This is a great series of shots.

I am using the DA*300 with the Pentax F 1.7x AF converter.
01-31-2009, 03:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not a pixel peeper so maybe they're not as sharp as pixel peeper standards, but here is a 100% crop of one of them.

Shot with an *ist DS, f/4 (or f/5.6 with TC) @ 1/200, ISO 400 (due to fading light), hand held.
01-31-2009, 06:38 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Awesome captures, I can see why you like to use this combination. Well done.
01-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Toshi Quote
I'm not a pixel peeper so maybe they're not as sharp as pixel peeper standards, but here is a 100% crop of one of them.

Shot with an *ist DS, f/4 (or f/5.6 with TC) @ 1/200, ISO 400 (due to fading light), hand held.
Looks pretty good to me. Thanks a lot!
01-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Great series! I like the third hawk best because of it has the most peaceful background!
01-31-2009, 01:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Toshi: I enjoyed these a lot--thank you for posting--very nice images. Also, thanks for showing us the utility of the tele-converter.
01-31-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Techiechick Quote
Awesome captures, I can see why you like to use this combination. Well done.
Thank you Diane!

Looks pretty good to me. Thanks a lot!
No problem

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Great series! I like the third hawk best because of it has the most peaceful background!
Thanks Georg! I am glad you enjoyed the photos.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Toshi: I enjoyed these a lot--thank you for posting--very nice images. Also, thanks for showing us the utility of the tele-converter.
Thank you Jewelltrail!