Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
People Of The Dominican Republic - Part 2: Adults (5 images)
Posted By: Darth Ramirez, 01-31-2009, 07:50 AM

Part 2: Adults

This young man's delivery truck has broken down on a street in Cabarete. He patiently waits for help to arrive and several minutes later some friends show up and help him push his truck out of it's spot and down a very busy street.

"Hmm. Now that's mighty fine" - A young Dominican thinks to himself as he checks out a senorita's assets on a street corner in Puerto Plata. You can see in the background an old man driving a horse and buggy. This is a fairly common mode of transportation in the Dominican!

The main method of transportation in the Dominican Republic is the moto scooter. While I don't think this is in any way a stellar photo, it does contain three interesting items. 1. No one wears helmuts (though I later found out that there is an actual helmut law and bikes are impounded with a fee of 100 pesos to get them back). 2. The lead scooter has a Gas Cylander strapped to the back of it!!. 3. In the upper right corner is a sign for a bar named Jose O'Shay's. It is a great Irish pub on the beach at Cabarete where my wife and I had our first date!

Young man pass time during siesta sitting on a bench outside a tavern. While the Dominican people are quite poor (though these boys may not be as their attire does not indicate that) I will say that they are a very happy people. It is hard to find one that was not smiling!

Views: 5,100
01-31-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
NIce street photography!
01-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was going to comment how the adults seemed to have lost the ability to smile of the children in your first series, but that last picture captures hidden joy perfectly. The ability to smile still exists. Both sets of pictures are very nice.