Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winter's grip
Posted By: JMR, 02-01-2009, 08:19 PM

Some days, I can't wait to walk in the newest snowfall in the park and see what I can find. Or just go for a brisk walk. Other days, snow seems like just another part of the rat race, especially if I can't get to the park! We have seen that many of our list members who venture out to photograph during snowfalls produce the most spectacular results, some even capturing the snow as it falls. Not as easy as it looks. I include two taken during a snowfall, but sigh, no snowflakes were captured.

JMR - Impressions and landscapes- powered by SmugMug

Last edited by JMR; 02-05-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Views: 1,574
02-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice series that tree . sunrise/ sunset almost looks upside down ! I love the last one. Ansd you are correct capturing snow fall is not so simple.
02-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Really good images!

I particularly like the top two - the berries (?) against the white and pale blue (almost grey) background make it monochromatic! Like the gradation of colour in the tree silhouette too.

Although the road snaking off into the distance has a good feel as well.

I wish I could roll in that snow right now (its 37C outside at the moment!)
02-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice series that tree . sunrise/ sunset almost looks upside down ! I love the last one. Ansd you are correct capturing snow fall is not so simple.
Thank you. It's right side up Dave, just cropped so as to exclude the foreground which had a fence. The sunset had all three wonderful colours. The last one was taken in a snow storm and I call it Winter whiteout. Since it was mild snowfall, I did not mind it at all.

JMR

02-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
Really good images!

I particularly like the top two - the berries (?) against the white and pale blue (almost grey) background make it monochromatic! Like the gradation of colour in the tree silhouette too.

Although the road snaking off into the distance has a good feel as well.

I wish I could roll in that snow right now (its 37C outside at the moment!)
Thanks. The berries shot and the last shot were both taken in mild snowstorms. The moving snow made the scene a little grayish and softened the scenery making it appear out of focus. Of course it was not. But the snow also made everything look beautiful and, as you say, monochromatic. I guess I should mention the last image was converted to BW so as to convey better the lightness of the scene without being too soft. The colour version is almost identical, just softer.

JMR
02-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice series, first I thought the first was too pale, but looking it more I think it was your purpose, creates a nice mood, The last is my favourite, it is superb!
02-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thnaks Georg. It is always tempting to enhance one's images but the white-gray is the way the light and scenery was. I may have brightened it a touch because sometimes a third of a stop makes all the difference and I have my camera set to half stops. Make no mistake, I am not against altering images, but when it comes to mood or representation, I tend to leave my images alone. The third image is an orton, I could not resist trying in BW.

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 02-02-2009 at 06:18 PM.
02-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Lovely winter scenes ;-)
02-03-2009, 06:51 AM   #9
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxFan Quote
Lovely winter scenes ;-)
Thanks.

JMR
02-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Great series of different winter moods! I like them all, but the last one is my favorite ... the melancholy mood appeals me most.