Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Running Water: Slow Shutter and Fast Shutter Comparison
Posted By: Mike Cash, 02-02-2009, 11:46 PM

I recently was amusing myself taking photos of a local river. I thought it might be interesting to leave the tripod in place and take a comparison shot of the same scene with both long and short exposure times. The long exposure was done using an ND8 filter to slow things down and the exposure was probably about 4 seconds. The short exposure was done without a filter and with the aperture opened up enough to bring the shutter speed up to near 1/1000, which is the fastest the camera could do.

both photos:
Pentax Spotmatic ESII
SMC Takumar 50/1.4
Fujichrome Astia 100F

Views: 4,254
02-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The flow on the film looks remarkably different from digital ones. There is so much more punch to the image even in the long exposure shots.

You seem to have a bit of hot spot for Astia at the moment
02-03-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I was gifted five free 36exp rolls of Astia 100F.

I have also noticed that water does have a very different look on film as compared to digital in this sort of shot.

I do wish you could see what this entire roll of Astia looked like on the light table through a loupe. It was simply breathtaking. There was a 3D feel to the images and a beauty and clarity that just absolutely got murdered by scanning. Although I have to say that an A3 print I made of one photo does look very good.