Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
End of a shopping day.
Posted By: Alvin, 03-27-2007, 10:40 AM

Vehicles are rolling out from Ontario's largest mall. The mall is closing as evening descends on the city of Mississauga.

Pictured is a 10 theatre cinema complex, part of the mall's newest expansion, named "Cityside". I don't know why I chose my condo tower shot over this one for this week's "Weekly Challenge - Urban Landscape", so C&C would be appreciated. Thanks

Attached Images

Views: 1,866
03-27-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Vehicles are rolling out from Ontario's largest mall. The mall is closing as evening descends on the city of Mississauga.

Pictured is a 10 theatre cinema complex, part of the mall's newest expansion, named "Cityside". I don't know why I chose my condo tower shot over this one for this week's "Weekly Challenge - Urban Landscape", so C&C would be appreciated. Thanks
Hi Alvin, I think you chose correctly. The towers are much more photogenic than the theater exit. Night shots are difficult techincally and you did a good job with both, but....I don't know about other people but I find most "looking down the street" shots kinda boring. I should know, I've got several dozens of them on my hard drive, but basically, unless it's a real good angle, or something out of the ordinary pictured, I go meh, another steet scene. I almost didn't post the shot down Broadway in my "Zenitar goes downtown" post because it's boring. It's only saving redemption IMHO is that we're looking down Broadway, a famous street. Other than that there's nothing there. (to coin a phrase). Of course the fact that I'm looking at it on my admittedly crummy work monitor may have something to do with it.

NaCl(I think the tower is much much better)H2O
03-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like this one Alvin. I've never tried to do an Urban landscape! I like how the road curves down and to the right, the building is spot on and you even remembered to get the whole flag in (my downfall - always chopping something off!).

I can't think of anything you could to do improve...

Carol
03-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Xfraser and Salty,

Thanks for the comments. I think I got it a touch underexposed for my liking, then there was something else...Salty I think you tapped it right there, one possibly boring street shot, saved by the van coming toward me.

03-27-2007, 10:40 PM   #5

Is there still a snow in Mississauga? Brr!
03-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Skaktuss - no snow anymore, or very little. The shot was taken a couple months back and I just happened to notice it when browsing through for a shot for this week's weekly challenge.
03-28-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I haven't been to that mall in years! I believe that Eaton Centre is the largest mall now with all the additions making Square One the second largest. Nice shot

03-28-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photochop Quote
I haven't been to that mall in years! I believe that Eaton Centre is the largest mall now with all the additions making Square One the second largest. Nice shot
Thanks V.

Surprisingly, it's Yorkdale now at 1.7 million square feet. That renovated new addition behind the cinema that replaced Eatons is the culprit.
03-28-2007, 06:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Thanks V.

Surprisingly, it's Yorkdale now at 1.7 million square feet. That renovated new addition behind the cinema that replaced Eatons is the culprit.
Ha! Well there you go, I wonder which mall will be next. Actually I'm surprised it's not Vaughn Mills, it seems to be much larger than any others, probably because it's all on one level.
03-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Funny how our regional malls seem to want to one up each other all the time.

My wife is the proverbial mall rat (yes, dear, I said it, and you know it!) so I probably know the bigger Toronto area shopping malls better than most people. Boredom allows one to do a lot while waiting, such as read up on little trivial factoids

When my wife goes shopping, you'll see me and my son at any one of these malls, at the food courts, EB, Sony Store, or Blacks. 90% of the time I have my camera bag strapped on me like a man bag I'm always looking for an opportunity to pull it out and shoot.

I think we might pay a quick visit to one of the malls on Friday or Saturday - looking for a gift for another newborn we will be visiting this weekend.