Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Some more from the Pentax SMC 300 F4
Posted By: NaClH2O, 03-27-2007, 07:59 PM

Well I got home from downtown, and it was still plenty light out and I hadn't yet put my new-to-me SMC 300 F4 thru it's paces yet. I was interested in seeing what it could do so I bopped down to the beach. You've seen the flying shark already, here are a few more. Almost all were hand held, I used a monopod on a few. All in all I was pretty satisfied with the lens, there is some CA, especially shooting into the sun, and focusing can be hard, and I was hoping for a bit more resolution, but have been told by an expert, that the resolution I was expecting wouldn't happen with ANY 300mm lens and I would need to go to 500mm to get it. Oh well. It's still waaaayyyy better than my 50-200. The sunset shots were taken with a FA 50mm 1.4.

New York Athletic Club, with high rises behind. The lagoon in the fore ground is where they hold rowing races. They are fun to watch!

These next two were taken at extreme range and are about 400% crops, so IQ ain't the greatest. Execution rocks is about 1.5 to 2.0 miles (3.3 to 4.4 KM) away so the resolution isn't fantastic, but I wanted to push the lens to it's limits. The Great Gatsby house is a bit closer, about a mile (2.2 km) or so away.
Execution Rocks has a very "colorful" past. This little excerpt is taken from "lighthousefriends.com.
"These rocky reefs, 1650 yards northwest of Sands Point on the western end of Long Island Sound, carry a chilling legend of how they received their name. According to folklore, which has never been proven true, the British avoided public executions in Colonial times because they would inflame the revolutionary spirit of the American people. Instead, they would carry the condemned to these reefs at low tide, chain them to rings embedded in the rock, and wait for high tide to carry out the death sentence. Some say the skeletons were left to torture the minds of the newly condemned as they faced certain death.
The ghosts of the condemned had their revenge. A shipload of British soldiers, sent to pursue Washington on his retreat from Manhattan to White Plains, foundered at the reef. No redcoats survived.
The legend of the executions had such hold, that when lightkeepers were assigned to Execution Rocks, they were under a unique contract. No lightkeeper was to ever feel chained to the reef. Instead of stating a set length of duty, their contract read that their length of service was for as long as they were willing. If for any reason, they requested a transfer, it was instantly granted."

Directly across Long Island Sound from Orchard Beach is Glen Cove Long Island, Small little town with some fair sized houses, This is the area John McEnroe, and Billy Joel used to live. Anyway this is how the "other half" lives.

I've been trying to get this shot with my Pentax DA 50-200 but I was never able to get the resolution I wanted. The SMC 300 easily nails this shot. Bronx-Whitestone Bridge sitting above the small bridge to City Island. I was worried there would be CA on the bridge cables but as you can see they're clean!

Foot bridge to the CBS broadcast tower, with condos and the towers of the Throggs Neck Bridge behind. The condos were built on one of my favorite boatyards :cries:

Not too many lobstermen anymore, there was a big lobster die off in Long Island Sound about 10 years ago, put most of the lobstermen out of business, but there are still a few. Here's one coming in after a day of pulling pots.

I just plain liked these benches and the railing in front of them

What's a day at the beach without a sunset I ask ya? These were taken with the FA 50mm 1.4

Thanks for looking!

NaCl(not a great lens, but much better than the 50-200 IMHO )H2O
Views: 7,381
03-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
very nice, Salty. My favorites are the two bridges, as well as the bench.

-Dan
03-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice Salty. It is quite amazing how well the lens held up at that distance. The air must have been very clear.
Great photos of the bridges.

Cheers

Eddie
03-28-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree with Khardur. Those bridge shots were really nice!

03-28-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey these shots are fun to look at - especially the bridge shot. Is you lens a K300/4?

Jer
03-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
Inactive Account

OK OK I'm jealous and my heart bleeds for a 300mm, they are great shots.
03-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the praise. Youse guys don't know how long I've been waiting to get that bridge shot. I first tried it with my less than stellar performing Sigma 75-300, too soft. Then, when I got the Pentax DA 50-200 I thought that I could get it with that lens, but the 50-200 is soft at infinity focus (at least my copy is) so that was a no go too. When this lens came available at KEH, I snapped it up. And, as you can see, it was up to the task of getting that shot. Yea and Hooray! Now all I have to do is capture a good moonrise. One's coming up next Monday. Hopefully it'll be clear.
Jer: Yes this is a K 300 F4. Dimitrov's site lists it as a K300/4. It's "Official Pentax" name is "smc Pentax 1:4 300mm". Fully manual, but an easily handling lens even tho it's a bit on the heavy side at 1020 gm.

NaCl(Glad everybody enjoyed the bridge pics...especially me! )H2O

03-28-2007, 07:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

And yet another who's a fan of the bridge shots. You said that the 300 is not a great lens but better than the 50-200, well I happen to think that the 50-200 is an excellent lens so this must mean that the 300 is better than you allege
03-28-2007, 08:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi Salty. Very rich colour in all your photos.

The last 2 shots are my favorite
03-29-2007, 07:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photochop Quote
And yet another who's a fan of the bridge shots. You said that the 300 is not a great lens but better than the 50-200, well I happen to think that the 50-200 is an excellent lens so this must mean that the 300 is better than you allege
Hi V. I've never been much pleased with my 50-200. And yes I know I'm in the minority. My copy is decidedly soft at infinity focus at 200mm. It's OK for shots at 300 yards and closer, but with anything further away than that it has problems. I didn't buy it new so I can't send it back, and it's good up to that 300 yard mark so I guess I'll keep it. I'd say that the 300's main faults are: some CA, teensy bit soft wide open (but still useable IMHO) and it likes to flare into the sun (which I understand is a common failing most long lenses) But other than those things, it is a nice lens. I'm looking forward to using it this summer at music festivals.

NaCl(should be great for when I can't get close)H2O
03-29-2007, 09:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Those sunsets are surreal! Great colour!
03-29-2007, 03:45 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Thanks everybody for the praise. Youse guys don't know how long I've been waiting to get that bridge shot. I first tried it with my less than stellar performing Sigma 75-300, too soft. Then, when I got the Pentax DA 50-200 I thought that I could get it with that lens, but the 50-200 is soft at infinity focus (at least my copy is) so that was a no go too. When this lens came available at KEH, I snapped it up. And, as you can see, it was up to the task of getting that shot. Yea and Hooray! Now all I have to do is capture a good moonrise. One's coming up next Monday. Hopefully it'll be clear.
Jer: Yes this is a K 300 F4. Dimitrov's site lists it as a K300/4. It's "Official Pentax" name is "smc Pentax 1:4 300mm". Fully manual, but an easily handling lens even tho it's a bit on the heavy side at 1020 gm.

NaCl(Glad everybody enjoyed the bridge pics...especially me! )H2O
Good to see that lens in action. I've got one as well, bought new in 1979 - I've not used it much with my digital cameras, but maybe I should.

Jer
01-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #13

Hello! I have been looking at the 300/4, and considering it as a sub-$200 upgrade from my Sigma 70-300/4-5.6 (and according to the 300/4's review page comments, I'm not the only one!)

I only have one major question.
Can you adjust the aperture ring on your DS? Because I have an old SMC 55mm/2 that was made at about the same time as the 300/4, and I cannot adjust the aperture on it on my *ist DL! It is stuck at f/2 when mounted. Why is this? And is there any way to change it? And can I adjust the aperture on this lens when mounted on my DL?

Thanks!
01-03-2008, 01:19 AM   #14
LED

You can't adjust the aperture due to a mechanical problem or you can adjust it but no real change on the pictures you take?

There's a trick with the DL. Switch on M mode, set the desired aperture on the ring, focus on the subject then press AE-L button. This way the camera will measure properly.
01-03-2008, 06:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Great stuff. I have been holding off on getting a 300 in hopes I can afford the DA looks like you found a bargain that will serve you well. I really like the bench shot as well.