Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Fire fighting champions
Posted By: georgecape, 02-07-2009, 12:03 PM

We're having hot and windy weather and many many fires.
Caught these as they get closer and closer to home.
As I hear the approach I charge to the table, grab the K10D and in the dodging the sliding door extend the zoom to 320, check the light, dial correction and seek the heli - quite fun ofcourse.
Thks
George

Attached Images

Views: 2,794
02-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
George,

We get buzzed by the Navy Resue guys all the time here in Orange Park. It is great fun to try to get a good shot of one. I haven't really succeeded yet.

Here is one I took with an old Vivitar 300mm f5.5.

Ray
02-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/2596906740_e29dde3c22_b.jpg

Likewise - hard to get good shots when they move in quickly......
02-08-2009, 12:48 AM   #4

Original Poster
Beautiful

I do see the difference in sharpness. I must conclude the FA 80-320 does seem soft at 320. But in the heat of the moment (heli approaching rapidly) my last thoughts are to pare down to 280mm. I need to practice some......

But thks for yr sharp and very colourful contributions.
George

02-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

nice documentary photos, George!
02-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Good timing hope the fires are under control.
02-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks Georg and Dave.
Like a miracle it started raining - thunder and lightning whilst the helicopters were still working!

Its still hot but fresh and peaceful today.
George

02-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This is incredible to see helicopters of all kinds in the fire rescue.

Great series here
02-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgecape Quote
We're having hot and windy weather and many many fires.
Caught these as they get closer and closer to home.
As I hear the approach I charge to the table, grab the K10D and in the dodging the sliding door extend the zoom to 320, check the light, dial correction and seek the heli - quite fun ofcourse.
Thks
George
Cool shots George. Those two are Bell 205s (or potentially the military version of the same aircraft - the UH1-H "Huey"). Funny paint job for South Africa yeah? Makes me want to make up the word "Expatriotic". That's a nice bucket that "stars and stripes" has there - those ones are adjustable on the fly, so as you burn off fuel and get lighter, you can open up the bucket more to pick up more water. Here in the US we'd not get away with flying the bucket on that short line - it would either have to be belly hooked (the boxy control head connected directly to the belly hook) or long-lined on at least a 50ft. line. - on that short line he's got there there's more potential for the bucket to be blown by adverse winds/rotor wash into the tail rotor with catastrophic consequences (it's been known to happen).

Shot 3 looks best to me, thought they all show a lot of jpeg compression (saved at a low quality setting?)

QuoteOriginally posted by sawtooth235 Quote
George,

We get buzzed by the Navy Resue guys all the time here in Orange Park. It is great fun to try to get a good shot of one. I haven't really succeeded yet.

Here is one I took with an old Vivitar 300mm f5.5.

Ray
This one's a Eurocopter Dauphin (AS365 or in this case the US Coast Guard variant the HH-65). It's operated by the US Coast Guard for SAR (search and rescue) and I'm sure other missions. Those are pretty fast (for a helicopter) so I'm not surprised it's a challenge to track and focus on them - nice shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by georgecape Quote
Thanks Georg and Dave.
Like a miracle it started raining - thunder and lightning whilst the helicopters were still working!

Its still hot but fresh and peaceful today.
George
Gah! The the rain is sure good to put out the fire, but the lightning can be bad for the helicopters . Scary stuff thunderstorms...

I've always know I was photographed at work, but now I'm gonna be self conscious .
02-09-2009, 03:46 AM   #10

Original Poster
Product knowledge

Thks heliphoto, this is such an awesome forum that we can even chat to the pilots.
Thks also for the technical input and for mentioning the compression. I have been wondering about that because the A4 photo is really nice and sharp but the screen shot is not. I'll adjust in LR and check the effect. I'm working on keeping the kilobytes low for mailing to my friends but this may not be smart?
I need to apologise for blaming the 80-320?

I love planespotting at our local airfield and twice the pilots have opened their doors to wave at me as they taxi in.

Anyways, to all fire fighting pilots out there you are really hardworking heroes and we salute you.
George