Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Foggy Dew (part two)
Posted By: gawan, 02-08-2009, 10:40 AM

Encouraged by the replies I got from my first Foggy Dew photo, I'd like to show also these few studies on the winter fog.

While the previous photo was a deliberately simple and of reduced realism to free the imagination, these are more realistic versions and show more of what was going on. Hope you like them too..

First, two natural lightened images

Second, one black and white and one blueish version

Thanks for looking! C&C appreciated!

Last edited by gawan; 02-08-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Views: 2,415
02-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Crap Georg, those are awesome shots. I like them all but that first one is to cool along with number 2. Then there's #3 that is wow! Excellent series Georg. I too like shooting in the fog. JIM
02-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice seires Georg who says you can't see in the fog ! I love the cros county skier captured, love the color that comes out in #2 well done.
02-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, Greorg - these are pretty cool. I'm especially taken with #2 - looks like the world disappears right at the horizon. Terrific job. BTW, remind me what that white stuff on the ground is.

Jer

02-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Georg, they are very nice shots, good work on the WB. I think most of them could have been improved if you had got down closer to the ground, it would have made the perspective a lot better, more three dimensional. The first one in this thread for example (good composition BTW), you still have a sense of space in the bottom two thirds of the shot but there isn't any detail in the snow, it looks completely flat. I bet there were a lot of interesting peaks and ridges in it.
I know it was probably cold but I've seen waterproof sheets made specially for those conditions and it's not as if you aren't used to that weather.

I really like the second shot in this thread, the snow in the middle looks almost like clouds or a fog bank as seen from above.

Just a suggestion here, if you do multiple threads in a series like this, post a link to the other threads in each one. Makes it easier for people to find them all, this forum gets pretty congested and it's easy to miss stuff.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 02-08-2009 at 03:33 PM.
02-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Crap Georg, those are awesome shots. I like them all but that first one is to cool along with number 2. Then there's #3 that is wow! Excellent series Georg. I too like shooting in the fog. JIM
Thanks Jim, always appreciate your comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice seires Georg who says you can't see in the fog ! I love the cros county skier captured, love the color that comes out in #2 well done.
Thanks Dave for the comment!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wow, Greorg - these are pretty cool. I'm especially taken with #2 - looks like the world disappears right at the horizon. Terrific job. BTW, remind me what that white stuff on the ground is.

Jer
Thanks Jer, LOL, is there ever snow in Texas, you do have high places..!

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Georg, they are very nice shots, good work on the WB. I think most of them could have been improved if you had got down closer to the ground, it would have made the perspective a lot better, more three dimensional. The first one in this thread for example (good composition BTW), you still have a sense of space in the bottom two thirds of the shot but there isn't any detail in the snow, it looks completely flat. I bet there were a lot of interesting peaks and ridges in it.
I know it was probably cold but I've seen waterproof sheets made specially for those conditions and it's not as if you aren't used to that weather.

I really like the second shot in this thread, the snow in the middle looks almost like clouds or a fog bank as seen from above.

Just a suggestion here, if you do multiple threads in a series like this, post a link to the other threads in each one. Makes it easier for people to find them all, this forum gets pretty congested and it's easy to miss stuff.
Gary, thanks a lot for the thorough comments!

You are right about the first one, it was difficult to crop and compose, I'll go back some day some year, when the weather and everything is the same

The second is actually my favourite too in this series! Thanks for the kind words about it!

I added a link to the first post in this series (in text above), good suggestion!
02-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice series Georg,
but the third one steals the show for me. I'd made the dark parts tad darker, but that shot has a lot going for it when seen through my eyes...
BR

02-09-2009, 03:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Excellent series Georg. #2 is my fav
02-09-2009, 03:09 AM   #9

Love them all, #2 is my fav though, very contrasty.

Cheers
Nish
02-09-2009, 03:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series, Georg! Also for me #2 please. Have you tried that particular one in B&W? It almost is right now, and maybe it is a pitty to lose the yellowish of the reed, but I would like to know how it look that way. If you have it, could you post it please? Otherwise I do the conversion myself (and for mysel), if you don't mind....
02-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
nice series Georg,
but the third one steals the show for me. I'd made the dark parts tad darker, but that shot has a lot going for it when seen through my eyes...
BR
Thanks for the comment, Axl! I actually reduced the contrast in the third a little, to add to the foggy mood, I may try to retrieve the contrast back.

QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
Excellent series Georg. #2 is my fav
Thanks a lot Daz!

QuoteOriginally posted by bnishanth Quote
Love them all, #2 is my fav though, very contrasty.

Cheers
Nish
Thank you Nish, appreciated!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Great series, Georg! Also for me #2 please. Have you tried that particular one in B&W? It almost is right now, and maybe it is a pitty to lose the yellowish of the reed, but I would like to know how it look that way. If you have it, could you post it please? Otherwise I do the conversion myself (and for mysel), if you don't mind....
Thanks Rense, looks like #2 is a choice for many, I may try to process it more carefully and try it out in PPG. I did not make a B&W version, but you are welcome to try it if you like for your self...
02-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Excellent series, that last one with the skier really has a great mood to it.
02-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Number 3 is just simply amazing, George. I love that kind of look and it is a very good snowscape!
02-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Thanks Rense, looks like #2 is a choice for many, I may try to process it more carefully and try it out in PPG. I did not make a B&W version, but you are welcome to try it if you like for your self...
Well, Georg, I hope you don't mind me posting it here? Otherwise I will remove it!! Very simple in MS Office Picture Manager, desaturated it, added some contrast and midtones.....

Succes with this one, colour or B&W, whatever....
Attached Images

02-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Excellent series, that last one with the skier really has a great mood to it.
Thanks Scott, I hesitated to get it that blue, but now it seems to work.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Number 3 is just simply amazing, George. I love that kind of look and it is a very good snowscape!
Thanks James, I am so glad that you picked up the third to comment, as I did against the usual trend of adding contrast, just because of the subject!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Well, Georg, I hope you don't mind me posting it here? Otherwise I will remove it!! Very simple in MS Office Picture Manager, desaturated it, added some contrast and midtones.....

Succes with this one, colour or B&W, whatever....
Thanks Rense, of course I don't mind! Nice conversion, probably couldn't get it much better even when I have the original RAW!