Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
DA* 50-135mm @ The Playground
Posted By: legacyb4, 02-08-2009, 10:22 PM

First off, I don't use this wonderful lens enough. Now that's out of the way, I took it to the playground today with the kids and got to play around with it a little more. I've found that I actually enjoy using it in manual focus mode although the lens is pretty heavy when strapped onto the K20D body.

Nice thing about the playground; aside from the kids, lots of interesting angles to shoot with.

Enough said, here are some of the pics:

Views: 2,458
02-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series, great shots of the kids (yours I assume?). The first one is my favorite. And I also like your "angles"!
02-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks! And yes, both of them are mine.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Nice series, great shots of the kids (yours I assume?). The first one is my favorite. And I also like your "angles"!
02-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Must have been a "go to the park with the kids and the DA*" day. I did the same with mine. Nice series, and I agree with Ole that first shot is great (lets just hope she doesn't drive like that when she gets a bit older...)

02-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
Forum Member

Very good shots. They reinforce my desire to have this lens and I am going to pull the trigger soon. Beautifully saturated colors and contrast. I wonder if you did some post-processing? By the way, which of your lenses spends most of the time attached to your camera?
02-08-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Currently, I'm shooting JPEG with the Bright settings (+1 contrast, +2 sharpening).

As far as post-processing go, I've found that the most I've had to do (assuming I've got my white balance set correctly!) is a slight bump in exposure (anywhere from .20 to .50) and maybe a touch of contrast to make the pics pop a bit.

Hard to say about which lens I use most right now; I'll pull one of of my bag before heading somewhere and shoot only with that lens as much as I can rather than packing a whole set of lenses to go.

QuoteOriginally posted by TTQ225 Quote
Very good shots. They reinforce my desire to have this lens and I am going to pull the trigger soon. Beautifully saturated colors and contrast. I wonder if you did some post-processing? By the way, which of your lenses spends most of the time attached to your camera?
02-09-2009, 06:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Fun series. I have a few shots very simular to yours but not a s sharp as your lens thats for sure. Thanks for sharing.

02-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice happy series of kid's photos! I also like the studies in DOF!
02-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great colors on the images, very nice series
02-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Without a doubt, I'd have to say I'm really impressed myself with the IQ coming from the DA* 50-135mm. If you have hesitation on buying, don't. The bokeh when shooting wide open is seriously impressive!

02-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, those are as fine as they come!
02-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #12
Igilligan

These are wonderful family memories

I have put off buying this lens long enough... If these shots cant get me to go get my next family zoom then maybe nothing will.

Thanks for the post.
02-11-2009, 01:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I have put off buying this lens long enough... If these shots cant get me to go get my next family zoom then maybe nothing will.
Don't you love it when other people's work can inspire you to bankrupt yourself? Send the kids to the workhouse for a few months. It's character-building and they'll be doing the photography world a huge favour by contributing to your output.

Unfortunately, I don't have any kids but like you, Gus, I must have this lens, so I might have to resort to shaving my legs and flogging my body down Hindley Street on Friday night. Any takers?
02-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

lovely shots of the kids, and the abstract shots of the playground equipment are very cool...
02-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #15

I like these a lot...I get a lot of practice myself down at the playground.

I really like the expressions you caught on the children' faces....and my favorite perspective shot are the rings going into "forever."

Thanks for sharing.