Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Northern California
Posted By: rm2, 02-11-2009, 09:48 AM

Just got back from a visit to Northern California. Here are a few pics. It was my first time using a polarizer. I am interested in your comments, so feel free to critic them. Oh, they were shot with a DS and a Sigma 17-70.

PS: Why are the images not showing up?

Last edited by rm2; 02-11-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Views: 2,443
02-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No problem. All great pics of a beautiful state. When I look at the trees in the second shot I almost feel like I'm there.

Last edited by JHfwp; 02-11-2009 at 10:31 AM.
02-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Goog eyes, very good eyes. I hadn't seen that error in the links. Thank you.

Last edited by rm2; 02-11-2009 at 05:51 PM.
02-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The first and the last are my favorites

02-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

great series! I love those redwood trees, hope to see them live some day!
02-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Beautiful shots rm2. All of them are great but #2 and #4 are the real standouts for me.
02-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maritimer Quote
Beautiful shots rm2. All of them are great but #2 and #4 are the real standouts for me.
Thanks. I did a reprocess of the 4th one. I think I like this one better:

02-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
Thanks. I did a reprocess of the 4th one. I think I like this one better:

Me too!

Can't say I'm too stoked on that polarizer though.... maybe just the resize and web, but they seem really flat to me.
02-12-2009, 05:01 AM   #9
JMR
Veteran Member

I like the first image best. The shimmer in the water, like the river itself, helps take the eye through the picture. Re the second shot, it is very difficult to get a sense of those large trees and even more so when there is mixed lighting. These are not bad, considering a first post.

JMR
02-12-2009, 05:48 AM   #10
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jak442 Quote
Me too!

Can't say I'm too stoked on that polarizer though.... maybe just the resize and web, but they seem really flat to me.
I appreciate your input. But, what do you mean exactly by "flat"? Do you mean that they seem to lack dynamic range? I guess I could try to bring out more detail in the shade. I must say that I have not yet tried to print them. It may be that they are too dark. My monitor is not calibrated, maybe your is and that is why you see that?
02-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #11
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
I like the first image best. The shimmer in the water, like the river itself, helps take the eye through the picture. Re the second shot, it is very difficult to get a sense of those large trees and even more so when there is mixed lighting. These are not bad, considering a first post.

JMR
On the second shot I tried to give some sense of scale by including the road. Thanks for the encouraging comments. I know I still have a lot to learn.
02-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Thanks for your shots of the redwoods and the elk. Spent a summer working up the hill from your shot of the elk for Weyerhauser during collage days.

I'd suggest that you work with turning the polarizer a bit more to even out the sky. Note in pic #1 how the sky is deep blue on left and light blue on right. This can be a problem with using them.

Thanks again!
02-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Redwood10D Quote
Thanks for your shots of the redwoods and the elk. Spent a summer working up the hill from your shot of the elk for Weyerhauser during collage days.

I'd suggest that you work with turning the polarizer a bit more to even out the sky. Note in pic #1 how the sky is deep blue on left and light blue on right. This can be a problem with using them.

Thanks again!
Ah, so that is what caused that. I thought it was due to the direction of the light. Or maybe it was both? I will definitely have to play with that a little more. Thanks.
02-12-2009, 11:06 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
I appreciate your input. But, what do you mean exactly by "flat"? Do you mean that they seem to lack dynamic range? I guess I could try to bring out more detail in the shade. I must say that I have not yet tried to print them. It may be that they are too dark. My monitor is not calibrated, maybe your is and that is why you see that?
By flat I mean visualy flat(lacking depth and detail). I'm certain it's the filter, but the highlights are too even and the shadows are too even, leaving a very 2 dimensional feel.... kind of the point with a polarizer. These are all decent shots which should have a lot of depth, but I simply don't get that from them.

Maybe it's my monitor... it's very subtle or, again, web etc...

I wish I could give a better answer, but I'm pretty new to this myself.... I just know what I see.
02-13-2009, 05:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Such a beautiful set of country photographs here.

I like the 2nd pic the best1