Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Portraits.
Posted By: metroeloise, 02-13-2009, 01:44 PM

Looking to capture images that are not bound by some ideal of flattery. In one set The Persons is reading from her journal. In the other the people are talking about being shy and the need to get over it without getting all cheesy.

PP is limited to Lr basic. Simply looking for treatment that made the shot look interesting.

All taken with my k100d. The night shots on the couch were all done under one light. All shots ISO200.

C&C Please. Many more on site.

Views: 1,786
02-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Really cool and fun. Love the first picture the most for the dreamy softly feel

The 2nd one is unsuspecting shot from hip. Great capture
02-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Igilligan

I like em...

The first rose is a really nice flower shot...

But this is my fave from the portraits... please tell us what you did in PP on this? and can you post or link to the original so I can see how far you took it?
Thanks gus

02-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Damn Brit

I'm going to have to disagree with James (sorry James).

The first one I would have agreed if the flower filled the frame.
The second one looks like the kind of shot that gives us photographers a bad name, it looks like you just invaded someones personal space.
I do like #3
#4 I don't like the focusing.
The next two although competent, just look like snapshots to me.
The final three, I can see the emotion in them but focusing looks off and spoil them for me.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 02-13-2009 at 02:31 PM.
02-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

But this is my fave from the portraits... please tell us what you did in PP on this? and can you post or link to the original so I can see how far you took it?
Thanks gus

This kind of effect can you get in LR when you delete clarity, I guess...
02-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

Thanks gus

Thank you.

Here is the original right out of camera:

What I did?

Cropped.

then set up:
Grayscale:
Red +100
Orange +48
Yellow +48
Green +61
Aqua +2
Blue -100
Purple -33
Magenta 0

From there I worked the clarity and recovery with exposure until I got it. then some brush work to pull out the eyes. What was the big lesson for me was using clarity to soften the image. used the same set up on a few other ones and I think it works well. This set up was one I got from a preset I picked up at the Lr site. I get bunches from them then I delete the ones I don't like and modify the others. Think this one was originally called IR.

Hope that helps.
02-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The third one is great.

02-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I like the "look" in that shot and comp, but the "clarity" looks like a blur filter applied to the whole picture and taken too far. Some skin texture would be nice, as would some shapness to the hair etc.....
02-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Gary

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote

I do like #3
The second one looks like the kind of shot that gives us photographers a bad name, it looks like you just invaded someones personal space.
The final three, I can see the emotion in them but focusing looks off and spoil them for me.
Great feedback.

#4 and those on site that go with that one was of the person that was shy. She is Gorgeous! I was exploring the in Lr turning clarity down. The original is sharper. The same is true with the final three. Found as I was making the adjustments I stopped when I "felt" something. I'll spend some time on them in PS and do some isolated enhancements.

Also was/am stoked to have a camera body that AF within reason! The k100d does where the k20d would blow it completely. Broke until payday then I wend it away to its maker to get the revamp. If I get some time I will do side by side shots with the same lenses and settings. Humph.

As for the second: She had asked me why I hadn't recognized her and if I would take pictures of her. "Sure just nothing cheesy..." "Cheesy?" Then she chilled into it.

Of the shy one:

02-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote

I do like #3

I love #2
and I Love candid and documentary shots the most.
I also think that those are the most important and highest form a photography.
yes you invaded a personal space for 5 minutes. but you captured history for ever!
where would the world be today if on every photo ever been taken you would see unsurprised people saying cheese.
you would know nothing about these people or about our society.
form this one photo I learned more about this girl and her character and about the photographer then in any other photo in this series.
but that is a big philosophical subject
02-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
YES!

QuoteOriginally posted by MJē Quote
I like the "look" in that shot and comp, but the "clarity" looks like a blur filter applied to the whole picture and taken too far. Some skin texture would be nice, as would some shapness to the hair etc.....
^^^ True! and that is my lesson for the week. Learn Ps enough to mask, layer and selectively apply filters. Anyone for suggestions on how to do the workflow on this?
02-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
^^^ True! and that is my lesson for the week. Learn Ps enough to mask, layer and selectively apply filters. Anyone for suggestions on how to do the workflow on this?
the way I found to be most useful (its also the most time consuming)
1 duplicate the original photo
2. apply what ever effect you want on the duplicated layer
3. use the eraser brush with a large father and a very low opacity (like 12%) to paint out what ever arias you don't want to be effected

this way I have full control also the blending between the effected aria and unaffected aria is the best
02-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Number 1 is beautiful--Georgia O'Keeffe's got nothing on that. Number 2 is almost exactly what I've had in my head and have been planning on trying for the last week. Right down to the outfit! Ideas like that don't come to me often! Nice job though. 3 looks overly softened to me, but it's a great composition. The last one just looks out of focus, but the others are nice.
02-14-2009, 01:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Slight redo

Here's a touch up: