Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Huangshan - Landscape Shots
Posted By: pop4, 02-14-2009, 04:01 AM

I went for a climb up a little hill called Huangshan (means Yellow Mountain) about two weeks ago. Here's some photos from the trip to share with you guys. I don't think I did too bad with my first ever sunset/sunrise shots.

Full set can be found here. Hope you enjoy.

CC appreciated.

#2 Sunset

#5 Sunrise

Views: 2,872
02-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Exactly my feeling when we went to Guilin (I've got to get those photos scanned!) It's limestone topography and really nothing like it (in N. America at least.)
I'd be interesting to see your Guilin shots too. I've been there before, but that was a few years ago and before I got into photography, but that area is know for its landscapes as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Wow, these are beautiful shots of the majestic mountain.

How high up did you go up to get those shots? Some people said that not everyone can go up that high since the air is thin even if you are not tired. Also, how early did you have to start climbing up to catch the sunrise?

Pop4, thanks for sharing.
My pleasure. The Huangshan peaks aren't actually all that high, probably about 1800m above sea level. Most of the shots would probably be at somewhere around that altitude and I didn't have any problems with the air.

It was actually a two-day trip, meaning we climbed up on the first day, and then caught the sunset up top, and stayed there overnight. We took the cheapest option of beds at 100RMB (~18CAD), and thats about 5 bunk beds crammed into a small room; basic, but you're only there for a few hours anyway. We then got up early the next morning to catch the sunrise from up there as well before making our way down the mountain; that would be my recommended itinerary for anyone wanting to travel there.

My position to catch the sunrise wasn't the best and was a bit obstructed (that's what you get when travelling with non-shooters who don't realise you've got to get in really really early to claim the good spots), but I saw that one of the guys who had one of the prime views was a Pentax shooter, and that did made me feel just that bit better

02-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #17
JMR
Veteran Member

First class work. N0- 7 is outstanding. But they are not just beautiful, they capture part of the essence of the Chinese landscape with all those wonderful mountainous misty scenes.

JMR
02-15-2009, 04:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Excellent series. Well done
02-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
6 and 7 in particular capture a really magical lighting.

02-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing those POP4, great scenery and well captured.

I understand your point about travelling companions, sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I am curious to know how you got there....plane? train? bus? and from where ? Shanghai?

I am in HK for a couple of weeks shortly and will have free time on my hands.

Cheers
Grant
02-15-2009, 06:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I spent pretty much the whole of last year studying on exchange in Hangzhou, which is about 90 mins by train South-West of Shanghai, so all I did was go to the West Bus Station in Hangzhou and catch the bus. It took about two and a half hours to get to Tunxi (the main Huangshan City), and then another 45 mins or so on another bus to Tangkou (which is the Huangshan scenic spot, and where the mountain is).

There are plenty of options on how to get there, and there are many choices to make depending on how much time and money you've got, and your Chinese language skills. Lemme know by PM if you want more help/info.
It was interesting to note that I bumped into quite a few travelers, traveling in small groups of 2~4 or so, that were from HK.
02-16-2009, 12:13 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
I'd be interesting to see your Guilin shots too. I've been there before, but that was a few years ago and before I got into photography, but that area is know for its landscapes as well.
Thanks for the info. I note one major problem.....my Chinese language skills are pretty much non-existent. My wife picked up a few words.

Hope you dont mind but here are a few shots I took near Yangshuo in Nov 07.

Beautiful area...I think....would love to see it without all the haze.

Cheers
Grant

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 10-05-2009 at 12:52 AM.
02-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Absolutely wonderful shots, shot 5 really caught my eye.
02-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Gorgeous. Picture 6 is perfect.