Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Jawboning
Posted By: xjjohnno, 02-14-2009, 04:52 PM

Some pics from a couple of visits to the Jawbone Conservation reserve, a location I would not have known about but for Dale making mention of it.
William the wagtail

Some of the flora

A pining jellyfish

An ibis convention

A dive bombing pelican, taken with a Prinz Galaxy 400mm

Views: 1,757
02-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice to see. The place stands to benefit from an extra couple of hundred thousand dollars after Mobil forget that one of their petrochemical pipes was loosing large amounts of fuel that then polluted the ground water all around Williamstown

Jawbone is one of a network of marine sanctuaries in Victorian state waters. Good to see some shots from there Johno. See any mangroves?
02-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Sure did see some mangroves, I've yet to take the walk path from the west end where the larger mangrove areas are.
I think the broken pipeline might have been more on the Yarraville side of Williamstown. Mobil can also take responsibility for the now gone mangroves that were near the mouth of the Kororoit creek thanks to a big spill back in the 60s. Considering the closeness to all the petro chem installations in the area I'd consider Jawbone a bit of a miracle in survival.

02-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Mmmmmm, I would have to tag along you next time!

The fact that you caught wagtail is quite amazing. I could not spot many ibis these days. Glad that you have caught this much!

The jelly fish in melbourne beach? I just cannot believe it.

Great images to share with us!

02-14-2009, 11:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It's actually jellyfish time of year, have a good look next time you're strolling out on a bayside pier. They'll be around till maybe the end of March. The little wagtail was a bit of a poser and was quite happy to strut it's stuff for the camera. I'll PM you a few days in advance for the next weekend visit. If I get the free time during the week I'll be looking at the western end of the reserve and have a good idea of the offerings.