Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2009 Tour of California
Posted By: ccallana, 02-19-2009, 12:33 PM

Spent 4 days with the Tour of California bike race this year... I was contacted by a cycling website, London Cycle Sport 2008 before the race and wanted to get some gear shots of the big cycling teams/riders - this worked into a press pass for the race... most excellent!!

I've posted several shots on flickr...

Shots from the pre-race Press Conference: 2009 Tour of California Pre-Race Press Conference - a set on Flickr

Some famous guy

From the Prologue in Sacramento
2009 Tour of California - Prologue - a set on Flickr

George Hincapie from Team Columbia High Road

From Stage 1 - Davis to Santa Rosa. I got *really* wet on this stage. Stood out in the rain for several hours. Created my own camera cover out of a plastic space-saver ziplock bag. The weather reduced the ability to get any decent shots.... 2009 Tour of California - Stage 1 - a set on Flickr

Christian Vandevelde at the starting line

From Stage 2 - Sausalito to Santa Cruz. I got a great spot on the Golden Gate bridge where a gate was unlocked. After the cops went by, I opened the gate and stuck my head/camera out into the roadway... still got very wet. Went to Santa Cruz where we actually stayed sort of dry. 2009 Tour of California - Stage 2 - a set on Flickr

The stage winner, Thomas Peterson

Stage 3 - San Jose to Modesto. I started at the top of the Sierra Road, booked it to the next climb @ Patterson Pass, and the made it to the finish in Modesto.
2009 Tour of California - Stage 3 - a set on Flickr

Winner Thor Hushovd

Great experience.. wish I could have kept going with the tour all the way to San Diego, but alas, I have to do some work to pay the bills There's always next year!

All shots with the K20D, most with DA50-200, some with Sigma 17-70 or 70-300
Views: 1,297
02-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a great shot of Lance Armstrong!! I like the nrs 2 & 3 a lot too.
02-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

There are actually two famous guys in your first pic. I know, I was a fan! They are all fantastic shots though.
02-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This is a fantastic serie of great event photography. Thank for you for sharing them!

02-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
There are actually two famous guys in your first pic. I know, I was a fan! They are all fantastic shots though.
Depends on who you call famous I suppose.. I assume most people know they guy in the foreground is Lance Armstrong, but the guy on the right of the frame is Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, and the guy on the other side is Andrew Messick, the president of AEG Sports, who puts the race on....