Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Five shots from Photo Class field trip
Posted By: Ed in GA, 03-31-2007, 09:33 AM

Still trying to develope the artistic interpretation

All shot in JPEG and are as they came from the camera. No PP whatsoever.

C & C appreciated

Views: 1,597
03-31-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
very good eye Eddy

I'm signed up for a 1 day outdoor photography course in about 6 weeks, and I'm sure that I'll learn something there.
I'm also thinking of setting my camera back to JPG since I haven't processed a photo in a long time.... just converted them to JPG and been happy
03-31-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Eddy. Here's my attempt a some brief C&C:

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
Still trying to develope the artistic interpretation

All shot in JPEG and are as they came from the camera. No PP whatsoever.

C & C appreciated
#1 The leaf on the far right seems a bit unique and so adds a bit of extra interest. It might work better as more of a focal point. I find shots like this hard to pull off. I've seen great examples, but rarely take any I like.

#2 With a quick look, this doesn't seem very interesting. But looking harder, I like the triangular pattern made by the 3 white flowers in the center. Unfortunately, they seem overexsposed. If they had a sufficient detail I think they could bring this image to life. Cropping the sides away to a near square format might also help emphasize the triangle and flowers.

#3 Nice capture of the flower and mosquito. They need to fill more of the frame IMO, however. Try different sizes and aspect ratio crops. Some local contrast enhancement to bring out the flower stamens might enhance this image as well by making the flower more detailed and better able to compete visually with the busy pine needle background. Alternatively or in addition, maybe you could emphasize the tiny dew drops on the flower petals. They are exquisite, but easily overlooked.

#4 I like this best. It has a nice composition with the strong diagonal line from the stem surrounded by the radial lines of the folded leaves (leaf?). I think it could be improved with more DOF &/or setting the focus at the juncture of all the lines.

#5 Like #1 & #2, the focal point isn't very strong. The bright highlights and large, high frequency content make it hard to concentrate and explore. But I like the transition of colors from gold to green. Try looking for ways to exploit that, perhaps.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

-Mark

Last edited by SWEngineer; 03-31-2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: typos galore
03-31-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I like #4 for the patterns and #5 for the lighting.

As Mark already suggested, #4 has the best artistic impression

Cheers

03-31-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The last picture really works for me.
03-31-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hey Eddy!

Wow, what a rebound! You've been making a few hits in the past few days! That's awesome - keep it up!

I like how you pulled off the first one because of the lighting. The fourth one for the same reasons as Mark and James.

My favourite though is the fifth. The lighting and the way you used the depth of field made this one very intriguing to me. I'd like to see if you can convert this to a black and white, but try filtering out a certain colour to play with the effect.
04-01-2007, 07:08 AM   #7
racinsince55

Nice work Eddy. The pinecone shot is awesome.

I like #4 as well. A little more DOF would have made it a really great shot.

04-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
Ed in GA

Thanks everyone. I do appreciated the positive comments and critiques.

Ed
04-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Eddy nice shots. Like everyone else I like the last two the best. But I also love the first one, nice use of light there. Couple of tips on photographing white flowers. A. Use spot metering. That way you avoid overexposing, and B. bump up the EV .5 or 1.0. The reason for the EV bump is that the camera actually sees the white as grey, if you bump it a bit (the more white you have the bigger the bump should be) the white will come out white instead of grey.
Other than that minor quibble great shots.

NaCl(white flowers give EVERYONE fits)H2O
04-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

#2 - looks like tell-tale lens/hood blocking the flash. If you were using flash, it is even harder to get white flowers properly exposed...I would have had to experiment with a manual flash.

#4 is great, don't listen to the others - it doesn't need more DOF! All you huge DOF junkies leave this one alone! (Although you could have moved the focal point just a hair closer to you.)
04-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm also a big fan of #4.

Jer
04-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #12
Ed in GA

Thanks again all. I think I'm getting back on track again.
04-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
#2 - looks like tell-tale lens/hood blocking the flash. If you were using flash, it is even harder to get white flowers properly exposed...I would have had to experiment with a manual flash.

#4 is great, don't listen to the others - it doesn't need more DOF! All you huge DOF junkies leave this one alone! (Although you could have moved the focal point just a hair closer to you.)
I have to agree with Sean on this one, the DOF is just about perfect. I don't agree with him on the focal point but I think that is a judgement call and doesn't detract from the photo in any case.
I also like the DOF on #5 but there I would have pulled the focal point a bit closer, again that's a judgement call. I think it works either way.

NaCl(everybody thinks a bit differently)H2O