Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Just back from Africa
Posted By: gtk, 02-20-2009, 07:03 PM

Just got back from Africa (Namibia) and have a few shots for people to look at. All were taken with K200D and Pentax 18-250 zoom set mostly on Av. I bought the camera and lens so that I would have a small flexible package that would sit comfortably in my backpack as the activities I was to undertake precluded taking a lot of camera gear. It worked a treat on that score. I had a compartment in the backpack with a small pocket inside. I lined this with bubble wrap and had a ziplock bag with a desiccant pack in case of moist conditions.
The camera and lens combo worked very well as did the AA lithiums I used. I was thankful that I had a set up that I could just pull out of the bag whenever the need arose and could turn it on and get a photo straight away at anywhere between medium wide angle to medium telephoto without the need to change lenses. I am not sure that the experts would be overly happy with the IQ but for my purposes it is OK. I am sure that more experience with the settings on the camera would improve this. ( I should have spent more time in the forum absorbing the lessons on settings etc before I went -- 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing!!)
I had a circular polarizing filter on for the majority of shots. In future I would be more critical of the need for the filter and use it only where I thought it would enhance the photo.
I spent a couple of weeks volunteering on the Cheetah Conservation Funds farm outside of Otjiwarongo in central Namibia followed by a safari through the Okavango Delta in Botswana, Etosha National Park and onto the desert and dunes area of Namibia.
Christmas day was the highlight. We had been told to expect little in the way of big animals because of the heavy rains that had allowed the animals to stay in the heavy bush away from the waterholes however we saw three lots of elephants and a lion pride on a zebra kill. The lions ended up walking within 10 meters of the car we were in.
Cheetahs don't like to be kept waiting for their donkey burger.

The others in the flickr set can be found at Flickr: gtk339's Photostream

The lesson for me was that the camera lens combo is great for a flexible all round setup when you have limitations on space and weight. I will go wider and longer when I go back. There are too many shots still out there or taken badly for me not to go back
Views: 1,943
02-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Damn Brit

That's a great portrait, I hope that was a friendly snarl.
02-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow, that snarl is incredible. Great texture and contrast!
02-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
the eyes and the teeth

really make this photo compelling!
Well done!
Cheers

02-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Forum Member

Nice pic, but mean kitty.
02-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Now thats grabs your attention... more to follow?

cheers
02-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great capture--truly menacing! Must have been an absolutely incredible experience. Makes the K200d and 18-250 worth their weight in gold.

02-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

OK, that's a great kitty shot but I really fell in love with your landscapes on Flickr! The colors of Africa were captured beautifully.
02-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Great shot, hope to see more from your trip — and welcome to the forum, gtk!
02-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Great portrait, and great gallery on flickr. Congratulations
02-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The pics at flikr are simply amazing. Not just for wildlife... some of the landscapes are the best I've seen here. What a wonderful experience that you've captured well. I hope some of them end up in the PPG!
02-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
The pics at flikr are simply amazing. Not just for wildlife... some of the landscapes are the best I've seen here. What a wonderful experience that you've captured well. I hope some of them end up in the PPG!
I second this statement. The landscape shots you have in flickr is quite breathtaking =)

And the Cheetah photo is great as well I hope he doesnt fancy the photog as lunch
02-21-2009, 11:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

good photos.Ive added you to my contact list.
02-22-2009, 02:29 PM   #14
gtk
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all your kind words. As for the cheetah and me for lunch - no chance - they are real pussycats!