Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Continued Attempts at HDR
Posted By: Hannican, 02-20-2009, 08:26 PM

I'm going to upload quite a few photos to this thread as I finish processing my recent attempts at HDR photography.

Some of these seem to turn out great, while others look terrible. Sometimes I go for maximum post-processed look, and sometimes I don't want it to look like it's been 'faked' at all.

Some you might like, and some I'm sure you will loathe, but these are a few of my favorites, and I figured I'd post them up for critique.

Any tips are MOST appreciated!

Sunset, February 11th, 2009

(I pushed the contrast HEAVILY on this one- as I'm sure you can tell- and I do like the effect, though I'd rather it be a little less pronounced right at the sun, and still heavy everywhere else... that kind of thing is beyond my post-processing skills, however, at this point in time!)

Revisited Image From Above

(This is the same image posted above, but I pushed it a bit differently and squeezed out FAR more color! I know the sun itself is even more burned in this one, but I like it more because of the richer colors)

Revisited Again- the Final Try

(I think this might be my favorite of these three images... I'm not sure. I'm moving on to other scenes though before this drives me insane! I really like the balance between sky and ground in this image, and the rich blues on the sky go nicely with the lovely greens on the ground. I think this one is a bit of a happy medium between the other two. Third time's the charm right?)

Same Sunset, Wider-Angle

(Same heavy contrast push, but a much more subdued feel to this image because the sun itself is not so strong. This one is more realistic, though still far from BEING realistic haha! I forgot to add- I'm not sure why, but when I took these shots I noticed the contrail emerging from the left side of the frame, and for some reason I fell in love with it- I absolutely LOVE the way it looks in this image!)

Last edited by Hannican; 02-21-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Views: 1,432
02-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
JMR
Veteran Member

Personally, I see nothing wrong with this image, but it certainly is not realistic. It is more interpretive.

JMR
02-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks JMR! I'm trying to do something different for a change, rather than copy what my eye physically sees... these are more along the lines of what I'd PREFER to see!
02-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like both both. but what would they look like if you went 1/3 stop less in both directions?

John

02-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Very good colours in deed! Great photography
02-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi John- Is there an easy way for me to set that up in Photomatix, or Photoshop? I'm pretty sure I've got my camera settings at 1/2 stops for EV Compensation... but I definitely took a few rounds of each of these scenes (all are three images, some are at 1 step between, some 1.5 steps between, and some 2 steps between frames). I'll dig through the others to try and find one that doesn't have so much compensation- can I figure that out manually somehow, perhaps by looking at the Aperture values in Photoshop? Is there an easier way?

Roentarre- Thank you for the kind words! I just love color and I am so amazed that it's so easy to saturate with all of these digital enhancements and HDR techniques. This is really keeping me interested in Photography and especially in trying new things that I hadn't even considered possible before! I'm literally looking at the world a bit differently now that I know what my camera is capable of capturing!
02-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Very dramatic mood in both photos! The bright area in the first seems a bit burned to me?

02-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really haven't done much HDR, but I assume you combined between 3 to 5 shots to get the final result. If you edit the two photos at either end of the set prior to the merge, I would think that would do the trick.

And then again I could be completely off base, I know there are some members that do a fair amount of HDR.

Hopefully one of them will step in and set us both straight.

I need to play with more HDR.

John
02-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I liked the 4th variation the most, but that is my personal taste and not a criticism. By the way, was that a hillside or something? The sloping horizon distracted from the pictures as I viewed them.
02-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've been playing with them a bit more today to try and tone things down... some of the results I like, and some I don't haha. I wish it were easier for me to make up my mind abou this sort of thing lol!

Mithrandir- thanks for your comment! I like the fourth one too. And yeah, I was shooting on a hillside even more sloped than it appears in the images. I like the slope personally, but I definitely understand your point.