Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First Picture Post
Posted By: daacon, 03-31-2007, 09:44 PM

I have had the K100D for about a month and have not had much time to play. Tonight I sat outside on my deck with a tripod and played for about 30 minuites with various settings and had about 2 pictures turn out :-) Here is the best one - This is unprocessed (just resized)

Several of them had the moon way to bright - I guess pratice pratice pratice eh !

What do you guys think ?

Last edited by daacon; 05-04-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Views: 1,538
03-31-2007, 09:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Beautiful. Love the mood. Almost eerie but also poetic.

Might crop out the perimeter of the shot to rid off the black
03-31-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks - yeah cropping is in order - I may play a bit in Photoshop see what I can do (just got that software - rookie there as well - so much fun to have so liitle time ...)
03-31-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I like it just as it is. Congrats on the fine job.

When you get a little more comfortable with the camera and learn how to set it up manually you'll be able to get perfect night shots every time. It takes a little bit of practice, but in my opinion it's worth it.
For now shooting in RAW, and playing around with some processing might give you the shots that you want

04-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks - practice is the key no doubt. Here is another picture - nothing spectacular or artistic about it - just like it - taken at my Dad's winter home in 'middle of nowhere' Arizona (between Phoenix and Palm Springs)

Last edited by daacon; 05-04-2007 at 04:42 PM.
04-01-2007, 09:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Like the moodiness of the first shot. That last shot is so funny!
04-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't play with that moon shot too much, daacon. Unusual range of colors make this a very special shot imho. Love it, Freddy

04-01-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks fevbusch that shot was more luck than skill (tried a bunch of settings and litterally just shot the moon 20 minutes hahah) but I hope to be able to reproduce shots like this.

I also recently Photoshop CS2 so my plan of attack is to learn to shoot first then edit later. I was somewhat familiar with Paint Shop Pro but I think I will make of a copy of that one before I do any editing.
04-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #9

Great shots. I like the moon shot like it is. Maybe a little cropping but it not necessary. If you like to do the moon shots do a search, I think in this forum, and you should find the recommended settings. I have gotten some decent shots that way.

Like the second shot, funny.
04-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #10

I love the colors and the cloud cover in the moon shot. I don't think there's much to change... and the second is so fun! Did you set that up, yourself?
04-02-2007, 05:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Hanamai

No the 'fisherman' is situated right at the enterance of the RV park and has been there for at least 10 years I would say.

It is a differnent place I have been down there about 3 times over the last 10 years. It is litteraly in the middle of the Arizona desert (closest 'town' on a map would be Salome or an hour outside of Parker) and every few miles 'RV parks' pop up.

So basically a retirement area (what we call 'snowbirds' - retired Canadainas from the West and Americans from the Northwest area) where people have way too much time on their hands - a scenario I suppose allot of us aspire to do where the biggest decesion of the day is what golf course do I go to haha
04-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Thanks - practice is the key no doubt. Here is another picture - nothing spectacular or artistic about it - just like it - taken at my Dad's winter home in 'middle of nowhere' Arizona (between Phoenix and Palm Springs)
Great moon shot
I have been trying to get some like that, but nothing so far.
The second one you know they say about Arizona area ....it's a dry heat
04-03-2007, 08:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

the moon shot would make for a good wallpaper! nice shot.
04-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
the moon shot would make for a good wallpaper! nice shot.
Thanks - Funny you mention that as that is where it sits - I got no problem sharing it wiht you or anyone just PM me with an email address.